Raptorchick

Serama-mama
May 21, 2018
Pine Grove, CA
So I have this hen, shes a 4 year old buff orpington, that has been almost bald of feathers for more than a year. Two years ago I had a couple of aggressive roosters, and only 7 hens, which is when the feather loss started. I bought the girls "jackets", to protect from the roosters, but most of their saddle feathers were lost. Then the hen in question, her name is Hunter (she loves flies), she started losing feathers over her wings. I thought maybe she was sunburned, so last summer I tried applying sunscreen to her fatherless wings and back. Her sisters all grew their feathers back. I separated the troublesome roosters, so they are now only with a very small bantam rooster, two serama roos, and a wingless rir roo. The serama roos and wingless rir are afraid of her, as she is high on the totem pole, so she only mates with the small bantam. The other hens are back to normal, I removed their jackets and they are now normal and fluffy. Shes not, and her skin looks angry red, like its sunburned. They have 4 trees and two coops to shelter under if they wanted, and I've tried sunscreen, but it's not working. The past two months I've tried aloe vera and also blu kote, but it didnt help. She lays eggs daily, nonstop all through winter. I'm worried that she has something wrong, like a skin disease. I've also read about increasing protein during feather regrowth. She eats and acts totally normal, but it looks so painful. If anyone has any advice or has experienced this before, any help is massively appreciated :(

Hi Raptorchick.
Poor Hunter. I am glad you separated that roo.
Her feathers will not grow back until she molts, and a chickens skin will automatically turn red when exposed (featherless) so feather growth should fix that too.
However, photos are always helpful - just in case.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow morning... I'm also going to find a vet, in case she has some kind of infection. She's a very tough girl and doesn't act sick, so I'm really hoping she's just having a deficiency of some kind :( I have an vitamin/electrolyte replacer that I've given to sick chicks, has anyone ever done that with molting chickens? And another silly question, is aloe vera safe to use with chickens? I know about avoiding -caines, lidocaine, chemicals, etc, but I've been wondering about pure aloe vera for awhile...
Thanks again,
Raptorchick

Still sounds like mating wear. You said she's still with 4 roosters? Bantam roosters can mate just as much as standard.
Yes, and I thought so too, but my other girls all grew back their feathers :/ Is it possible the bantam roo is targeting her more often than the others? She doesn't act sick, shes still very active and I get eggs daily, but her feathers/skin look downright painful. The sun finally poked out today and I got a couple pics, attached below.
I'd like to separate her, but atm I have nowhere warm to keep her long term. Hopefully we stop freezing overnight in the next week or so, then she can be moved. I imagine skin and feather repair will take awhile :(
Right now I have the bantam rooster and a serama rooster in the same run, with 7 hens. Removed the other two. It looks as though her feathers are trying to come back under her jacket... I feel like they aren't coming back due to a combo of too much sun damage and overmating, but I'm worried about internal infection or something I might not know about, maybe nutrient deficiency? Like I stated before, she acts fine, I just can't imagine she feels fine.... Tomorrow I'm going to call my vet and see if theyll look at chickens... thanks ahead for any/all help.
20190217_142834.jpg

20190217_142942.jpg

Below is her sister Goldie, who was bald a year ago and grew everything back, for comparison
20190217_143006.jpg

Poor baby! :hugs That’s a lot of roosters for 6 hens! Over-mating is definitely the issue! Great work with the jackets!
Vetericyn is a great product to spray on her sensitive skin.

Yes, and I thought so too, but my other girls all grew back their feathers :/ Is it possible the bantam roo is targeting her more often than the others? She doesn't act sick, shes still very active and I get eggs daily, but her feathers/skin look downright painful. The sun finally poked out today and I got a couple pics, attached below.
I'd like to separate her, but atm I have nowhere warm to keep her long term. Hopefully we stop freezing overnight in the next week or so, then she can be moved. I imagine skin and feather repair will take awhile :(
Right now I have the bantam rooster and a serama rooster in the same run, with 7 hens. Removed the other two. It looks as though her feathers are trying to come back under her jacket... I feel like they aren't coming back due to a combo of too much sun damage and overmating, but I'm worried about internal infection or something I might not know about, maybe nutrient deficiency? Like I stated before, she acts fine, I just can't imagine she feels fine.... Tomorrow I'm going to call my vet and see if theyll look at chickens... thanks ahead for any/all help.
View attachment 1676735
View attachment 1676745
Below is her sister Goldie, who was bald a year ago and grew everything back, for comparison
View attachment 1676746
Some roosters, especially bantams seem to favor an easy hen and will breed only her. I have not seen one with such bad looking skin as yours. I'm gonna tag some folks who may be able to say if it's possible that something like mites or even a skin infection is going on. I would seriously consider separating her for now if possible.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive , Hopefully they can say whether it's something more than mating.

Back
Top Bottom