Reg's Coop Build Photo by Photo.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reg, Mar 14, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Songster

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    that is really beautiful! [​IMG]

3. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    They are happy hens!

4. harri

harri In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Beautiful job Reg. What did you use for the roof?

5. Hope49

Hope49 Songster

Apr 13, 2011
    Reg - we are in design phase and I'd like to know the size of the entire structure. It's simply beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Nice coop and BTW I have that same greenhouse as well.[​IMG]

7. Mallory

Mallory Chirping

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    I think it looks fantastic!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wow they look like happy hens!!

Very nice coop. How nice that you don't have to go far to get to your greenhouse chores, too!

9. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:The roof is made from 3/4 plywood sheets. It is covered in felt & has soft wood strips fitted around the edges to tidy up.

Underneath it is supported with 3" x 2" softwood beams. I can walk on it.

There is a light in the run & the coop but the girls have not worked out how to turn them on yet [​IMG]

The best part of my design is the trays in the coop. so easy to clean them out. Takes 20 mins which I do every sat morning. They dont thank me tho [​IMG]

The run floor is mud, I dig part of it over most days, the girls love this as they can go worm scratching. Keeps then busy for hours.

I open the coop at 6.15 every morning. They know there will be a full scraps tray in the run & race down the ladder to get to the tray first.

I feed 50 / 50 layers pellet & mixed corn with an extra 10% grit. by the evening they have picked out all the corn, most of the pellets & left the grit [​IMG]

If i go near the run they follow me looking at me. I know they are saying pick us some green stuff mate.

They all feed out of our hands already. I catch & pick one up every night so they get used to being handled.

Chickens are such fun & easy to look after. wish i did it years ago.

I sell the extra eggs so i dont think they will cost anything to keep & we get fresh eggs !

Pinky is my favourate my wife likes Ginger. I know its daft but they are different. some bold some cheeky some shy.

If your thinking about keeping chickens at home DO IT ! But set up well first it make all the difference.

Reg

10. eastercreek

eastercreek Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    It looks really beautiful! Neat as a pin! Gorgeous hens, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: