Reg's Coop Build Photo by Photo.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reg, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:Maybe you should post stage photos too [​IMG]

Good luck

Reg

2. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:When i get them i will ask them what they think [​IMG]

3. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:Yep if you pay my fare & put me up [​IMG]

Should have it done in 4 weeks.

Do you live near the beach ? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About an hour and a half from the beach but I doubt you wanna swim in the ocean now. Its pretty cold out

Call me about August [​IMG]

4. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Hello again good to be back

No i did not give up on chickens ! My PC packed up. [​IMG]

I have been busy. Yes Its finished & I have hens.

Sadly not Wyandottes, I did find some 50 miles away £40 each tho. But the night before i was going to see them my neighbour gave me a number of a chicken breeder local to me so i went to see his birds first. he had lots of different kinds.

As I could pick up 5 different hens of same age at once I decided to forget the Wyandottes this time.

These birds were in cages & free ranging picking the one i wanted was hard enough but then came catching them [​IMG]

When i got them home i locked them in the coop for an hour. They all hid in the nest boxes.

After an hour I opened the door to the run. They never moved !!!!! So the Mrs & i went to the pub for lunch.

When we returned they were all out in the run, scratching the ground hunting worms.

One birds was making a noise the other 4 not a sound. I took a look in the run & there was an egg on the floor. 4 hours from buying them to first egg. Wow

When it started to get dark i thought it best to get them in the coop. I went out to find they had already gone up. ( but 4 were sleeping in the nest box )

Day two. another egg, this time in the nest box. At night they all slept on the perches.

Day 3. 2 eggs.

Today 4 eggs.

So i only have one bird which has not started laying yet.

They have not been fighting at all.

We go in the run every day with them, today i managed to catch one & hold her for a while. she now feeds out my hand.

I shut them in the coop every night & remove the food & water from the run. I put fresh water & food out at 6 am & open the coop door before i go to work.

They are in no rush to come out tho.

So far things are going really well, no problems at all. The hens look great could not have found better.

We ate fresh eggs for the first time tonight. Definetly more flavour.

The only problem i have is my wife has started to name them. [​IMG]

I do have the rest of the pictures of the build to put up but I have not finished loading up my pc programs yet.

Reg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Crowing

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    great coop, nice photo's as you went! you might have an egg from each of them already, not every hen will lay every day, so maybe you've gotten one from each and one's just taken a day off....[​IMG]

great job with the coop and run

6. Awww Reg, I cannot wait to see them [​IMG] They are lucky birds and for them to start laying right away is great. Congrats on all your hard work and finally putting an end to this particular chapter [​IMG]

Make sure when you post pics you state their given names. Yes as much as you are dismayed by this whole name gving thing, every living creature needs a name.

~Julie

7. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:Well they all took a day off today. Day 5 NO eggs [​IMG]

I have explained that Sunday is not far away & we have not bought any meat yet. I think they understand [​IMG]

8. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    These hens are not daft [​IMG] I mix layers pellets 50 50 with mixed corn & some grit. They pick out the corn & leave the grit & the pellets [​IMG]

Second hen fed out of my hand today [​IMG]

I dig over a part of the run each night they spend ages scratching for worms.

9. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    Photos of your hens in their awesome coop? Bet those eggs were yummy!!! [​IMG]

10. Reg

Reg Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:Best ever [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: