1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Regular or layer crumbles for my Pullets ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Camshaft, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Camshaft

Camshaft Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Cape Breton Island
    My Golden Comets have reached their 17th week on this earth and I was told that at around 16 weeks + they could start laying eggs. Should I change their feed to layer crumbles or keep them on the regular feed till that first magic egg appears?

INFO : They freerange all day long.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Now is a great time to switch to the layer feed. [​IMG]

3. Camshaft

Apr 1, 2010
    Cape Breton Island
    Wow...Your Fasttt! Thanks much for your quick reply. I'll head down the road today and pick up their layer crumble. Thanks again!!

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I'd finish off the old bag of grower and then switch to layer.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It's a good time to start combining the feeds, gradually switching them to layer. Chicken don't like sudden feed changes.

I feed layer pellets, so I usually have a week of transition with crumbles and pellets mixed together.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just remember that layer feed does not MAKE pullets start to lay. They will lay when they are ready to lay. Layer feed supports them with extra calcium.

Patience, grasshopper! [​IMG]

7. Camshaft

Apr 1, 2010
    Cape Breton Island
    Ah, thanks everyone. I'll start mixing the feed till the regular is all gone and then sit and wait. I know that they will lay when they are ready...trouble is I'm ready and they aren't. :))

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:That's always the case....we are ready and they aren't. I am wanting eggs as soon as they turn 18 weeks...and sometimes it does not happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by