regular socket and timer???

Those are a good alternative as well. Isn't it great people have invented things in such a away that we all can find inexpensive ways to accomplish our goals?

Quote:
All kidding aside, if one was to come out of that with a timer, then to a gooseneck lamp, a drop light or a clamp-fixture, is it really all that necessary to do a ground? I'd really like to know because it's just like me to kludge something like that, then find out that was a really bad plan dewd...

Fill me (us) in please.

No a grounding type receptacle isn't necessary as long as the appliances you plug in don't have a third ground pin. If the appliance (timer, lamp, etc.) does has a third grounding prong then it needs to be plugged into a grounding type receptacle.

The third grounding pin on any appliance is to protect you from electric shock. If an appliance has a metal housing, i.e. old power tools, very old radios, and such, then that housing will be connected to ground by the third wire. If a wire were to come loose inside the appliance and touch the metal housing, the ground wire ensures enough current flows to trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse. Without the ground wire, the case can become energized without anything happening until you touch it and you become the path to ground, receiving a shock.

A lot of appliances don't have a three wire grounding cord on them anymore because the enclosures are made of plastic. In the power tool world they refer to this as "double insulated". The wiring itself is of course insulated and the tool housing is made of plastic to eliminate any risk of shock which also eliminates the need for the third wire, there is nothing to attach it to...

that's news to me . as i've said i work as an apprentice wireman commercial and residential and i have yet to encounter any appliances(fans , dishwashers hvac units etc) that don't have a ground unless it's 20 years old . besides the NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE states that any circuit shall have a ground . in that code shall means "it better be done". yes power tools are an exception (they are considered a seperately derived system).

Quote:
Let's see... How can I be tactful... You are not correct.

Looking around my house I can find dozens of appliances with two wire cords; coffee pot, police scanner, some TVs , video game consoles, almost all wall transformers, etc. There are a few items with three wire cords like some TVs, and the surge protectors. The TVs have a ground for RF shielding, the surge protectors need a ground to shunt overvoltage conditions (surges). Most modern appliances have two wire cords because by their design there is absolutely no use for the third wire on the appliance.

Yes the NEC says most circuits need a ground (there are some exceptions). For the installation that is pictured at the beginning of the thread, a porcelain lampholder with a two wire receptacle, a ground wire is required to be run to the box to ground the box and the conduit. That does not preclude you from installing the lampholder with the two wire receptacle. You just won't be able to plug in a grounded (three wire) appliance.

As far as seperately derived systems go, you'd better get back to studying for your journeyman license. Seperately derived systems have to do with interconnect points between power distribution systems; the local utility grid, backup generators, photovoltaic arrays, battery banks, etc. They have nothing to do with power tools.

Back
Top Bottom