regular vs. organic starter/grower/layer

CindyRM

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
I like the idea of feeding my chickens organic but I wanted to know if there is really much of a difference in chicken health or quality of eggs based upon food type. The organic food is only 26 bucks, which is okay, but I'm wondering what I'm getting for that extra $20.

I heard that the chick's poop a bit less stinky when fed organic...true?

You have to think about what you want out of your flock. Do you want to sell organic eggs? Or do you want to know that there are absolutly no herbasides and pestasides in any of the grains/ ingrediants that go into your chicken. If you "a health nut" then organic is probably better.

I'm switching to organic in the spring in time for selling organic eggs at $4.00/doz at farmer markets. And because I don't like the idea of previous mentioned chemicals going into my chickens and then myself and my family eating those eggs.
yippiechickie.gif

I noticed a difference in smell when I switched from the feed store brand to Countryside Naturals, but I don't think that was because the new feed is organic; I think it has more to do with the ingredients and the formulation of the feed.

We feed organic because we want to keep our farm and ourselves as healthy as possible. My niece just became the 5th generation of my family to live here on the farm and we know that pesticides and herbicides and over-using antibiotics and raising genetically engineered "super breeds" won't help us maintain a healthy, sustainable environment.

People who don't choose organic aren't bad people who don't care. You just eventually come to a point where you have to decide what things are important. For us, it's knowing where our food comes from and that we've been as gentle to the earth in making that food as possible.

Quote:
I don't think your eggs are organic just because you switch the feed in the spring. I think they need to stay on organic in order to be qualified as organic eggs. I might be wrong on this but I know how hard it is to be organic certified. It takes years to prove.

Quote:
rstampa is correct, technically. if you are trying to get organic certification, your eggs and chickens won't be considered organic for a while. it depends on the certifying agency you use, but sometimes your entire property has to have been organic for 2 years before you can be certified. a farm near me didn't get their certification because someone who boarded a horse at the property brought antibiotics to use for her horse. if this is your business, though, it's a really good thing to have.

but certification isn't necessary for a small, personal flock. you can sell your eggs at the farmer's market as organic without the certification (check the local regulations on amount you can sell without certification). certification is expensive and impractical for most backyard/hobby farmers. you just need to be rigorous with your own personal standards and very honest with your customers. don't try to market yourself as certified, instead just explain to anyone who asks why certification isn't right for you (or better yet, just make a little sign). you will, however, need to stay with organic year round once you make the switch because chemicals linger.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom