Rehabbing a hen unable to walk etc

csaylorchickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2015
California
My Coop
My Coop
I went on vacation for a week and came back to a sick hen with fly strike. I dunno how long she was sick, she weighs practically nothing, light, boney, even her breast bone is poking and reddened almost like a deep tissue injury. I cleaned her vent, luckily I caught the flystrike early enough and it didn't cause a wound near her vent but it blocked her vent off. I washed it daily for one week, she finally started pooping. She is barely eating and drinking. I had to use an oral syringe for water twice a day and hand feed her tuna, grapes, and now wet cat food.

Her comb is now red not dusky purple she looks better overall. No parasites visible in her poop. Her poop smells nasty not like coccidosis though, very concentrated. She needs more water it's hard to get her to drink anything.
I have resorted to watered down wet catfood and she is eating that.
My issue is she is so weak. She can barely stand.
How do I help her get strength back? I work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday I can do a lot sat and sun but I don't know what else to do. I try standing her up a few times a day but she can barely stand. Any tips? What else can I do?

I went on vacation for a week and came back to a sick hen with fly strike. I dunno how long she was sick, she weighs practically nothing, light, boney, even her breast bone is poking and reddened almost like a deep tissue injury. I cleaned her vent, luckily I caught the flystrike early enough and it didn't cause a wound near her vent but it blocked her vent off. I washed it daily for one week, she finally started pooping. She is barely eating and drinking. I had to use an oral syringe for water twice a day and hand feed her tuna, grapes, and now wet cat food.

Her comb is now red not dusky purple she looks better overall. No parasites visible in her poop. Her poop smells nasty not like coccidosis though, very concentrated. She needs more water it's hard to get her to drink anything.
I have resorted to watered down wet catfood and she is eating that.
My issue is she is so weak. She can barely stand.
How do I help her get strength back? I work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday I can do a lot sat and sun but I don't know what else to do. I try standing her up a few times a day but she can barely stand. Any tips? What else can I do?

I'm thinking if there is t an improvement in the next two weeks I'm gonna have her put down
Can you post photos of the wounds and of her poop?

I agree with @sourland often times FlyStrike is due to an underlying illness so keep that in mind.
Did you administer any antibiotics?
How long have you been treating her all together?

You can try placing her in a chicken sling for a few hours each evening when you get home from work, that may help her strengthen the legs and get in more upright for a while. Google "chicken sling" for more images and ideas.

You can try Chick Starter to see if she will eat that. Make it into a wet mash. I would also get some poultry vitamins into her a few times a week as well.

upload_2018-10-28_15-8-42.png

I'll get pics of her soon. No open wounds just area of redness on her breast bone from lying on it a lot and no fat or muscle on it. I'll try the sling she still doesn't want to drink but she will eat

These are pics of her vent, feet, one urea dropping she passed poop earlier that was solid, her comb, her breast bone showing her weight loss

Attachments

• 20181028_181134.jpg
    20181028_181134.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20181028_181123.jpg
    20181028_181123.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181028_181400.jpg
    20181028_181400.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20181028_181140.jpg
    20181028_181140.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181028_181417.jpg
    20181028_181417.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20181028_181039.jpg
    20181028_181039.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181028_181045.jpg
    20181028_181045.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 12
I had to cut feathers around her vent to prevent her poop from caking again. She didn't pass anything for the first 3 to 4 days but finally started passing some that was very concentrated today was her first solid poop but she also has been eating better. She is very weak able to stand for about 30 sec at a time but then has to lay. She also won't drink fluids at all I have a dropper and she will eat wet cat food or really small pieces of grapes.

Awww...poor sweet girl!
I would try the sling with extra cushioning in the front, that may help with the breast sores a little bit. I know you have to work but for overnight you can try propping her up on rolled up towels to see if that makes her more comfortable as well.

Since she is not drinking very well, anything wet will help. The cat food, grapes or even watermelon.

Please keep us posted.

If she is that weak, I think you should seriously consider tube feeding. Start with fluids, see how she does, then add liquid food. Can you get some baby bird food at a pet store?

Here is a great thread with instructions. If you use aquarium tubing, you have to melt the end so it doesn’t scratch her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

Back
Top Bottom