Pics

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
I won't go into the entire story but if you'd like to read it please see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-imported-english-orpington-thread.386051/page-2297 - Post 22,963 ;)

Anyway, I currently have a Blue Orpington rooster in my bathroom after he badly lost a fight to a hormonal gander, and was then picked on for days by the other flock rooster and two young cockerels because he was feeling off. I don't believe he ate or drank enough, on top of it being very cold and wet. He's certainly improving but still weak and not able to stand for long periods of time or walk much. He's alert, pooping well again, and consuming normal amounts of food and water. He's on starter/grower with a bit of hen scratch to get him interested in eating. I offered a couple tablespoons of cat food this morning before work hoping the high protein might increase his energy. The water currently has vitamins and electrolytes. He has a small cough I hear occasionally that I hope is from eating crumble, but may be a little respiratory issue. So I'm going to see what antibiotics I have I could put in his water. Are there any particular ones recommended?

Is there anything else I should be offering or doing additionally for him? Is it just a waiting game now to see if he bounces back?

Here is a chicken symptom checker tool

Well that's a fun little thing. I've played around with it for a bit and am not sure I could come up with anything definitive as some "symptoms" are not related to the possible illness (cough) and are related to the environmental factors that put him in the state he's in. But we'll see what happens I suppose.

The use of antibiotics with respiratory diseases depends on symptoms and the cause, such as virus, bacteria, or fungus. Only bacterial diseases, such as MG and coryza will respond to antibiotics. Infectious bronchitis, ILT, are viruses, and aspergillosis from mold fungus, and not likely to respond. Unless you are seeing bubbles or pus in the eye, swelling of the face or eyelids, I would not start an antibiotic. Antibiotics to treat respiratory diseases are Tylan (tylosin,) doxycycline, oxytetracycline, denagard, and Baytril. Coryza responds to sulfa antibiotics. Coughing can be from dust or mold, or something irritating to his airway. Here is a good link about those and other common diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

B complex vitamins would be a good long term alternative to electrolytes with vitamins, since they are less likely to cause diarrhea. 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food is more than enough.

MG isn't actually curable though, right? You just treat the symptoms until the flare up is gone?

There's nothing but the general lethargy, wounds from the fight, and his unsteadiness which I think are completely unrelated to the little cough I hear when I'm laying in bed at night. One eye is more closed than the other but that has to do with the laceration from the gander than anything else. No bubbles or wheezing. His poop was pretty much straight liquid the first day/night inside but is now much firmer/more normal. Changing his potty pads has made me very familiar with the consistency. Maybe the little cough is from dry crumble sticking in his throat. He's eating awkwardly since he isn't standing. He's used to pellets, but I wanted the higher protein in the crumble to put some weight back on him. He was positively lighter than ordinary when I brought him in with a breast bone that was easily felt.

Would anything else help him with his strength and him being able to get around and stand for longer periods of time?

I won't go into the entire story but if you'd like to read it please see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-imported-english-orpington-thread.386051/page-2297 - Post 22,963 ;)

Anyway, I currently have a Blue Orpington rooster in my bathroom after he badly lost a fight to a hormonal gander, and was then picked on for days by the other flock rooster and two young cockerels because he was feeling off. I don't believe he ate or drank enough, on top of it being very cold and wet. He's certainly improving but still weak and not able to stand for long periods of time or walk much. He's alert, pooping well again, and consuming normal amounts of food and water. He's on starter/grower with a bit of hen scratch to get him interested in eating. I offered a couple tablespoons of cat food this morning before work hoping the high protein might increase his energy. The water currently has vitamins and electrolytes. He has a small cough I hear occasionally that I hope is from eating crumble, but may be a little respiratory issue. So I'm going to see what antibiotics I have I could put in his water. Are there any particular ones recommended?

Is there anything else I should be offering or doing additionally for him? Is it just a waiting game now to see if he bounces back?
nothing but the general lethargy, wounds from the fight, and his unsteadiness which I think are completely unrelated to the little cough I hear when I'm laying in bed at night. One eye is more closed than the other but that has to do with the laceration from the gander than anything else.
Maybe the little cough is from dry crumble sticking in his throat. He's eating awkwardly since he isn't standing. He's used to pellets, but I wanted the higher protein in the crumble to put some weight back on him.

I would try giving him a wet mash made out of the crumbles - see if the cough goes away if you think that's the cause. If the cough still exists with wet feed, then he may have aspirated blood/fluids during the fight and now has an infection, he may have some injured air sacs - hard to know. But if dry feed is not the cause and he continues to have a cough, it may be worth treating him with an antibiotic - if you have vet care, that's best, but that's not always an option. I don't think you plan on eating this beauty, so Baytril would be what I would use. Do keep in mind it's not approved for poultry, so do some reading up and decide if it's something you want to use. There are likely other antibiotics you can use - one of the 'cyclines' may be good too.

He was badly beaten, then picked on for days by another rooster and cockerels, he was cold, wet and didn't seem to eat/drink.

He's had the soup beat out of him and it's going to take a while for him to physically recover. He may also be feeling defeated and his spirit is broken - he may or may not recover from that.

You looked him over well for any other injuries/wounds. Any swelling or air bubbles under the skin near the air sacs?
Are his wounds healing - he's not smelling like he's rotten?

The not standing is concerning, it just really depends on the extent of injuries he suffered.
Like I say, psychologically, he may be feeling poor for himself as well. Give him a few days to see how it goes, but he may really enjoy having a couple of hens visit him if that's possible. Getting him outside (caged) if the weather is agreeable and letting him see/hear some of his favorite hens might be good too. Just some thoughts on that.

The B complex vitamins can help with strength and leg issues. A balanced diet and probiotics a couple of days a week can be helpful. Tuna and sunflower seeds (not too much) have vitamin E.

Yes MG is something they never get rid of, but it doesn’t sound like he has that. But MG is one of those things that may be around in chicken flocks, and never is noticed unless one gets stressed, and symptoms can show up. Wild birds can carry it, and it is seen in many hens with reproductive issues. It just isn’t something that most people test for unless they get a necropsy on a dead chicken, and the lab results come back positive. Most hatcheries are not even completely MG free. But he doesn’t sound like MG is a problem. He could be coughing just because he is sluggish. Check his crop in early mornings to make sure that it is emptying overnight. A crop that is backing up might cause some coughing or rattling.

I would try giving him a wet mash made out of the crumbles

I've never tried him with wet food, but I'll offer it and see if he likes it.

He may also be feeling defeated and his spirit is broken - he may or may not recover from that.

Yes, and that is precisely what worries me. I've seen roosters just give up and it is horrible to watch. The fact that he chats with me when I'm in the bathroom and does a cute little purr/song for me makes me feel better that he's interested in what's around him. I caught him standing on his own last night a couple of times when he didn't think I was looking so that gives me hope too.

Any swelling or air bubbles under the skin near the air sacs?
Are his wounds healing - he's not smelling like he's rotten?

I didn't notice any swelling or air bubbles under his skin when I soaked him in the sink, gave him a bath, and blow dried him on Saturday. But I'm not sure what I'd be looking for exactly.

His wounds are healing. His face was mostly just raw from the gander biting/chewing. So the first day his face was so swollen he couldn't see, second day the left eye was open and the right partially. His right eye is completely open now, but his left is still not fully open. There's a tiny cut on the eyelid that I think as it scabbed has just forced it to be a little more closed. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the actual eyes themselves.

The not standing is concerning, it just really depends on the extent of injuries he suffered.
Like I say, psychologically, he may be feeling poor for himself as well. Give him a few days to see how it goes, but he may really enjoy having a couple of hens visit him if that's possible. Getting him outside (caged) if the weather is agreeable and letting him see/hear some of his favorite hens might be good too. Just some thoughts on that.

I've been thinking about taking him out for some supervised field trips for thirty minutes or so. He's a heavy bird so I don't particularly want him on wire, and the weather has been all over the place in terms of temperature and precipitation so I don't want him lying in mud with the girls ignoring him. I think I'll take some extra hay out though and make him a little bed of sorts where he can sit and talk to his girls. They are in a pen now with no roosters waiting for him to feel better so he can join them permanently.

The B complex vitamins can help with strength and leg issues.

I started to pick some up during the supply run for all the materials to finish the barn into breeding pens and move them out of danger from the geese, but I managed to forget to actually put the liquid in the cart. I might have some tuna he could enjoy.

Yes MG is something they never get rid of, but it doesn’t sound like he has that.

After this past summer and the issues I had with all of the chickens and the number of URI I wouldn't be surprised. Especially after I treated with Denegard and they got better. Do they test for that when NPIP testing? I hate reading about illnesses online. Before you know it all your chickens have Mareck's or some other life-threatening, incurable illness. Much like people using webmd...lol

Check his crop in early mornings to make sure that it is emptying overnight. A crop that is backing up might cause some coughing or rattling.

I'll be sure to check it in the morning. I haven't checked it since he's been pooping well and eating consistently.

Show a picture of his head / eyes. That can be window into lasting damage.

I'll edit this post and add those pictures as they are on my cell phone and I'm currently posting from the computer so hang tight.

Saturday - 1st night after bath:
86BE8EAF-F123-43C3-B711-EB846D2E0032.jpeg
3674780F-4778-4E53-A01B-3AFE6BDF3A0B.jpeg

Sunday night - 2nd day
E648D743-4659-4483-8D38-7020DE8DD48C.jpeg

Monday morning - 3rd day (standing for about a minute before plopping down)
0DF22A6E-BF63-4CE5-8B84-93C45DCB07A4.jpeg
0A06E728-8479-4221-B203-F8C5064D924B.jpeg

Tuesday morning - 4th day (standing for several minutes this morning)
C82985C7-B46D-405E-A00C-6F66CEBAC91F.jpeg
D440AAC0-FCA4-4063-88F8-3FBAC347F0E2.jpeg

Is he feeding to point of filling crop?

He's certainly not eating like he does when he's up and about and feeling more himself. The phrase I've coined for him is "greatly diminished". When eating he'll feed for a minute or so and either stop for a bit and continue, nap, or drink some. He definitely naps a lot but that can be good for health when you're feeling poorly and trying to conserve energy.

Last edited:
His wounds are healing. His face was mostly just raw from the gander biting/chewing. So the first day his face was so swollen he couldn't see, second day the left eye was open and the right partially. His right eye is completely open now, but his left is still not fully open. There's a tiny cut on the eyelid that I think as it scabbed has just forced it to be a little more closed. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the actual eyes themselves.
Yes, and that is precisely what worries me. I've seen roosters just give up and it is horrible to watch. The fact that he chats with me when I'm in the bathroom and does a cute little purr/song for me makes me feel better that he's interested in what's around him. I caught him standing on his own last night a couple of times when he didn't think I was looking so that gives me hope too.
Poor Guy!
Have you put any ointment in the eyes? It does look like he's healing - it takes some time for all the swelling to go down for sure. I almost lean toward not putting ointment in the eye that is not fully open if there is no pus - maybe give another day and see if it's reduced.

It's good that he is responding to you/talking a bit though.

I would try the wet feed and see if he will eat that. Not all birds like mash, but mine do.
Scrambled eggs are usually a hit as well.

I didn't realize you had previously had respiratory illness in your flock? I might be mistaken!
Anyway, if that's the case, then @Eggcessive is right, if you have dealt with disease like MG then a stressor like fighting/injury can make birds relapse/become symptomatic. I do hope that's not the case.

As for what they test for NPIP - every state is different on requirements, so you would want to ask the folks that do the testing to find that out.

Back
Top Bottom