rehoming ex-battery hens. (UPDATE: Recovering Status) PICS

bluefeather2697

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
i don't know where to post this. but its somehow related.

so im getting just 2 ex-battery leghorns (that's all i can take)
i saw some of them..

and im shocked on what i saw. their saliva is dripping out of their beaks,
their nails over an inch long, limping, heads down and pale combs.

what'd'ya think? can i revive them?

when can they lay some eggs for me.
and by the way, they're 1 year of age.

what tips can u give me to take care of them?
thanks! =D =D =D

Last edited:
I would be very cautious about bringing those birds into an existing flock.
There is usually a good reason that they are getting rid of them.
They could be diseased or stressed or older than they tell you.

If these were going to be your only birds or starters, I think you will be in for disappointment.
Best to start with young healthy birds so you can enjoy the hobby of chicken rearing before
you have to deal with the less fun and expensive part of healing sick birds. JMHO.

First, I want to congratulate you on trying to save these poor hens. I have heard that many can be successufully brought back to health and some happiness, but it takes a lot of work.

I would quarantine them from others to make sure they get the best possible care and the least stress, but also to protect your other chickens, if you have them, from any introduced disease or parasite.

I have heard of successful rehabilitation of battery hens, but they will need to be taught the basics - how to roost, how to walk about in a cage larger than themselves, how to eat/drink if their bills have been clipped. Walking about and scratching will naturally wear down their nails.

The commercial egg ranches in my area destroy (or sell) their hens after their 2nd laying year, so yours could be entering their 3rd year. I wish you the very best of luck and hope sincerely that your hens thrive in your care. Please keep us posted.

best regards,
kate

i got them this morning. and i wasn't expecting what i saw.
they are moving. no limping, no sickness.

although one is very dirty. they're very active for their first day of freedom.
they walk straightly, eat and drink with no problems.
that on the left has complete feathers except for some missing tail feathers.
the other one is in molt.

that's all for now.

good luck to me! :D :D :D

Last edited:
AWW!! I just want to snuggle them! Bless their little hearts and yours for taking them in! best of luck and please keep us updated!
love.gif

I had a battery hen when I was a kid. She was as you described, but not running liquid. She had no idea how to be a chicken. She didn't know how to scratch, roost, and was inept at foraging. She never layed an egg. After a year of not laying, I butchered her. She had a huge egg sack and some developing eggs. Probably would have layed forever, starting in the next day or so. Good luck with yours.......Pop

hi guys! goood news!

i was walking in our back yard when suddenly.. i heard an unusual egg song.
i didn't recognize it.. because it came from my ex-batt leghorn!

after three days of recovering..... one of my two ex-batts laid an egg, a big egg! :celebrate
im soooo very happy. :weee

i read articles about ex-batts that they need months to recover that's why i'm not expecting eggs until she laid.
the other one is still in molt. so no eggs from her for sure for now.

her egg. the pinkish ones are from my EE mix.

that's one big egg. :)

here's her. the hen that surprised me with a big egg. she has no name yet.. suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom