rehoming ex-battery hens. (UPDATE: Recovering Status) PICS

What is a batt hen? (sorry...I have no clue...)

WHAT BIG COMBS THEY HAVE!!! 

So glad it's working out!

as far as i know. ex-battery hens are hens from egg factory/industry, they are kept in a small battery cage and crank them up to lay up to 300 eggs per annum/year. after their 1 year service they get a free trip to the slaughter house and to be chicken nuggets.

so before their trip. some concerned chicken keepers rescue some. :)

I have 3 ex battery hens (was originally 4 but sadly just lost one on boxing day). I dont know anything about the saliva, but with regards to everything else, mine were pretty much in the same condition when we first got them! 5 months on and they are unrecognisable!
All feathers have grown back and left them with beautiful coats, their combs have gone from the palest pink to bright red and they have never taken a day off laying! Even in the current temperatures..
Once they have become used to exploring outside (strange to think they most likely had never seen grass!) and rebuilt their leg muscles they will be good as new. Add to that the satisfaction you will get from saving them from slaughter and changing their lives for the better! Its so worthwhile.

I have 3 ex battery hens (was originally 4 but sadly just lost one on boxing day). I dont know anything about the saliva, but with regards to everything else, mine were pretty much in the same condition when we first got them! 5 months on and they are unrecognisable!
All feathers have grown back and left them with beautiful coats, their combs have gone from the palest pink to bright red and they have never taken a day off laying! Even in the current temperatures..
Once they have become used to exploring outside (strange to think they most likely had never seen grass!) and rebuilt their leg muscles they will be good as new. Add to that the satisfaction you will get from saving them from slaughter and changing their lives for the better! Its so worthwhile.

wow! congrats on your birds. :D

hi guys! good news again! my two ex-batt hens laid, not an egg.. but EGGS! :celebrate
wow. i really can't believe that it only took 5 days for them to recover.
here's what surprised me!

this hen laid the two of them, not sure though.

and im so impressed by this hen because she still managed to lay an egg even though she is in molt.
so proud of 'em

Last edited:
by the way. i'd like to share how she improved (the molting hen) in 5 days.

look at her comb when i first got her.

and after 5 days of giving her attention, vitamins, and lotsa care :)

I'm sorry but from the moment I saw them I thought "Oh their names should be Flopsy and Mopsy."

Congrats on the hens, they are very pretty birds and looks like they'll have a wonderful life.

she looks like a Rhonda to me maybe you should name them Rhonda and Rhoda was my guess that she was the 1 to lay because the other is in molt gl with your girls nice egg

I'm sorry but from the moment I saw them I thought "Oh their names should be Flopsy and Mopsy."

Congrats on the hens, they are very pretty birds and looks like they'll have a wonderful life.

haha. can't choose between Rhonda and Flopsy. :)

Back
Top Bottom