Rehoming Four Hens ... But they don't look so good :(

Most likely poor nutrition. Scratch isn't enough, particularly when they are not allowed to free range. Lack a source of protein. You could take them are try to isolate them and/or start treatment for mites immediately. Their poor nutrition isn't contagious to your other birds.
Shame on your neighbor for neglecting her birds! If you can't or won't care for animals properly, DON'T GET ANIMALS!
Agree! After seeing where they were living I thought this was just their little area but once I found out she doesn't let them free-range roam anymore because they were eating her veggie garden it made me sad. We are going to take them on and give them a lot of free range space and get their butts back to normal (literally hahah) so thank you everyone for the suggestions.
ALSO LASTLY: Is chicken lice the same as human lice?

sorry typing quickly while trying to keep up with the other replies. I was meaning to keep them separate from YOUR flock until you knew what was wrong with them. Now that I see it really is just lousy nutrition and probably mites, it won't be necessary UNLESS there is a big size difference. Someone's gonna get bullied in that case but best to let them work it out among themselves.
PS. Bless you for saving them. I hate to see an animal suffer.
I actually don't have any other chickens! These four ladies will be the only ones we have in their new yard and coop. I guess that's what I was worried about!

My husband's mom owns a chicken farm in North Carolina but she also works a lot so we haven't been able to ask her these questions and since it's a time sensitive issue we really wanted to check with experts!

I would be very reluctant to take the on for the following reasons.

They are past the prime productive time.
They are in poor condition from largely unknown issues.
They have not been fed properly and are likely to have long term health issues from it.
I would not trust that the bird sitting in the nest day in and day out for such a long time is broody and not gravely ill.
I certainly would not want to bring potential parasites into my brand new coop.

I really always want people to have a happy chickening experience.
Taking on someone else's issues rarely results in a happy experience.

See this is what my mom said, she was very concerned that because I have the tendency to want to save everything that we are going to be disappointed if they don't do well but in my mind I'm saving them from a crap living situation and bringing them into a good one. IDK what to do to be honest. They really are sweet girls too, they have been handled a lot and we have kids so that was a big thing for me.

Agree! After seeing where they were living I thought this was just their little area but once I found out she doesn't let them free-range roam anymore because they were eating her veggie garden it made me sad. We are going to take them on and give them a lot of free range space and get their butts back to normal (literally hahah) so thank you everyone for the suggestions.
ALSO LASTLY: Is chicken lice the same as human lice?
Not the same bug but still a parasite.

I'
See this is what my mom said, she was very concerned that because I have the tendency to want to save everything that we are going to be disappointed if they don't do well but in my mind I'm saving them from a crap living situation and bringing them into a good one. IDK what to do to be honest. They really are sweet girls too, they have been handled a lot and we have kids so that was a big thing for me.
I'd save them even if they never laid another egg their entire life. Since they've been handled so much, they will be fun for sure!

When mine went really raw like that and mite treatment didn’t work I ended up giving a calcium and vit d supplement and it resolves. Apparently if they get calcium deficient they eat the feathers to try and make it up.

Edited to add they were free ranging and on basically the best layer mix available at the time. It’s just that they were exceptional layers and I think all the shell forming eventually depleted them.

I actually don't have any other chickens! These four ladies will be the only ones we have in their new yard and coop. I guess that's what I was worried about!

My husband's mom owns a chicken farm in North Carolina but she also works a lot so we haven't been able to ask her these questions and since it's a time sensitive issue we really wanted to check with experts!

This makes me wonder why she is in a giant rush to be rid of them.......

Sorry dear I agree with your mom. I would pass on these birds. It would be heartbreaking for your kids to get attached for them to start dying off really soon.

I'd suggest hitting them with poultry powder as I was putting them in the box to bring them home. Quarentine them if you have the space. The one hen that has all her feathers is probably the boss eating the feathers off the other hens' backs, if it's malnourishment.

Back
Top Bottom