rehoming lady bugs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by skywatcher, Oct 21, 2009.

1. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    Sunshine brought the lady bugs out there must of been 2 thousand on my truck,I took the truck for a drive to rehome those bugs after reaching town 15 miles away I had a few left some went shopping with me in the store,those I brushed off they could buy there own groceries. [​IMG]

2. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    LOL.

I've been rehoming them into my vacuum cleaner bag. They have been, quite literally, raising a stink about it.

Ah, the joys of living in a 135 year old farm house. [​IMG]

3. We had them crawling on the TV in my bedroom last night... 3 of them. Thankfully they don't really bother me. They feed my Daddy Longlegs nicely [​IMG]
    I have a haunted 300 year old farmhouse. Cobwebs are part of the decor.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think these are the authentic lady bugs are they? These are asian and they bite. My 9 year old is scared to death of them, he was all upset they were in the truck with us yesterday because I made the mistake of saying they will bite. It's not a horrific bite, but you know they are there.

5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    There's about 20 in my sunny kitchen. I don't have a clue how they're getting in here, but the house outside is covered. Too bad the chickens don't eat them! I'll have to get out the vacuum again - it's just that time of year. First warm day in spring and they'll be up and at it again!

6. When we first moved into our home two years ago, we were the first people to turn on the heat in the home in two years. Thousands of lady bugs awoke thinking it was spring and it took us a week of shooing, and vacing, and sweeping to get the population under control.
    My kids, particularly my youngest who is 3, fell in love with them and would catch them and let them crawl all over her in the house.
    They have never, ever bit us. My toddler has had 5-10 of them crawling on her at once and has never been bitten, same with myself.

I'm not sure what the difference is between Asian beetles and Lady Bugs but if biting is the difference, then I have the latter [​IMG]
    We even bought her a lady bug house so she could keep some for a couple of days and watch them. She really loves them, and worms.
    You let her out to play and she runs right to dig for worms!
    Weird little girl.

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    They are more than likely the asian lady beetles. They come out in droves this time of year. They are more orange where the actual ladybugs are red. [​IMG]

8. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    If you pinch one and it stinks... it's an asian lady bug. It's nasty.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You should live in Arkansas where a large timber company, weyerhauser, releases them twice a year by helicopter. It's horrible! Oh and for future reference? Chickens won't eat them! [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My cats turn into Mighty Hunter Kitties about this time of year. They LOVE stalking the little suckers. The lady bugs are not amused however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by