Rehoming my Broody and Feeling so Guilty!!

feathermaid

Egg Obsessed
5 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Northwest Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
My Blue Wyandotte, Blueberry, has been excessively broody all spring and summer. She's only a year old, hatched in May 2018 and was a very late bloomer-- didn’t start laying until March of this year. Shortly after, I noticed she was staying in the nest box at night so I always lifted her to the roost. Then I started blocking all nest boxes every evening to keep her out but she was still sitting in the nest all day long. I'd take her out several times a day and she'd always run back after a dust bath and forego free ranging with the flock. So I resorted to putting her in a crate with a wire bottom propped up off the ground with bricks for a few days, which did the trick. However, this entire scenario has happened 4 times so far! She's normal for about a month then it's back to the broody cycle.

I know she's broody, she's not sick and no parasites are present. She growls and fluffs up when I take her out of the nest and she's plucked all the feathers from her belly. I'm not allowed to have a rooster here in town and even though I'd love to give her some hatching eggs or even some day old chicks to raise, I cannot have more chickens in my small suburban yard. It's become apparent that poor Blueberry just isn't cut out for single life... she want's to be a mom and I can't change her mind.

I found a new home for her out in the country. They have 2 coops and free range their birds and have only one Silkie rooster. I don't want Blueberry to go by herself and be all alone in unfamiliar territory so I'm sending her best friend Muffin, along to help with integrating in their new flock. Muffin is a Buff Orpington and actually pretty mean to my other birds.

Now I'm having terrible regret and wonder if the silkie will be a good mate for her. I'll miss these birds so much since I raised them from chicks, but I know I just can't keep dealing with all this broody behavior and it doesn't seem fair to keep putting Blueberry in a cage every month. I really think they'll both have a better life on a farm but I still just can't stop crying and being sad.
How do I deal with this awful guilt?
How will this affect my remaining 4 birds?

58541898052__AD5361AE-4107-4D47-AEC6-213B8BA47C9F.JPG IMG_0542.JPG

I really think they'll both have a better life on a farm
Your answer is right above.:)
With regard to the Silkie rooster; "any love is good love so they'll take what they can get."
Letting every hen that wants to here sit and hatch is one of the things here that for me makes the downfalls of free ranging worthwhile.
They'll like having a man about the place.;)

Aw, don't feel guilty! It sounds like you tried your best! Sometimes certain birds just won't be a good fit for your lifestyle and flock. The bright side is...new baby chicks :jumpy I'm sure there are people on here that can point you towards breeds that don't go broody!

Don't feel guilty, be proud of yourself for doing what is best for the girl.
I gave one away about a month ago, she was a bottom hen and was getting beaten up badly.
She was seperated to heal twice but still wanted to be in the flock which would have been a third seperation.
It was hard to do but it was best for her. :)

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!
I just drove out to give away my two girls this morning.
cry-blow-nose.gif
I was pretty sad and my daughter was crying which made it really hard, but now I do feel much better after meeting the lady and talking with her about our birds for a good long while. She was very nice and also experienced and they hatch chicks quite often at their place. My daughter met her children and we all agree it seems like a really good match! I was just feeling like such a failure, but I realize that my current living situation just won't work out for every bird.

Well it's all over now and I'm sure they'll be so happy once they get integrated.
The new owner promised to send me pics!
goodsigh2.gif

Back
Top Bottom