Rehoming my last silkie hen

bkruss

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2015
We've had two hens die in the last two months after 6 years of having them. One from old age, the other when a dog got in the run when neighbor kids opened it.

The two silkies were attached at the hip and now there's just the lonely one by herself. Is it best to re-home her, or let her finish her life out by herself.

We can't handle losing more, so we're not getting any others right now.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
We've had two hens sure in the last two months after 6 years of having them. One from old age, the other when a dog got in the run when neighbor kids opened it.

The two silkies were attached at the hip and now there's just the lonely one by herself. It's it best to re-home her, or let her finish her life out by herself.

We can't handle losing more, so we're not getting any others right now.

Thanks for the help
If you don't want to start over with youngsters, consider taking in a retiree. I'm sure someone has an older hen who could use a soft place to land in her senior years.

If you have time to spend with her and give her companionship and attention (in lieu of a flock), it may be easier on her to stay with you than getting rehomed, as she's an older gal.

Or taking in another older hen could give her a companion as well.

If you really do not want her any longer, then I'd aim to find someone with a mostly/all Silkie flock, or a single older hen or two in a similar situation as yours.

If you have time to spend with her and give her companionship and attention (in lieu of a flock), it may be easier on her to stay with you than getting rehomed, as she's an older gal.

Or taking in another older hen could give her a companion as well.

If you really do not want her any longer, then I'd aim to find someone with a mostly/all Silkie flock, or a single older hen or two in a similar situation as yours.
I do want to keep her, but we've got a new puppy inside, and she's never been that snuggly of a chicken. We got her when she was a year and a half from a farm that didn't spend time with her. I'm just afraid she's really lonely out there by herself, though, strangely enough our cat has always gone and sat out next to chicken coop. So she sort of has a friend still. He spends a lot of time out there.

I do want to keep her, but we've got a new puppy inside, and she's never been that snuggly of a chicken. We got her when she was a year and a half from a farm that didn't spend time with her. I'm just afraid she's really lonely out there by herself, though, strangely enough our cat has always gone and sat out next to chicken coop. So she sort of has a friend still. He spends a lot of time out there.
Well it might work with just the cat, but keep an eye on her and see how she acts. She may need a little time to get over the loss of her last flockmate, but if she returns to her normal level of activity after that, she might be doing ok as-is, and then no reason to rehome her if you don't want to.

If she doesn't perk back up, doesn't want to eat, doesn't want to scratch around and be a chicken, then she may need to go to another flock to make her feel more secure and give her a group to belong to.

Well it might work with just the cat, but keep an eye on her and see how she acts. She may need a little time to get over the loss of her last flockmate, but if she returns to her normal level of activity after that, she might be doing ok as-is, and then no reason to rehome her if you don't want to.

If she doesn't perk back up, doesn't want to eat, doesn't want to scratch around and be a chicken, then she may need to go to another flock to make her feel more secure and give her a group to belong to.
Thanks. Hope we can keep her, but just want her to be happy. Gonna be rough without her sister, and all the cuddling they used to do

Chickens are social animals and need to be with other chickens if kept outside .They also alert each other to predators and help keep each other warm .Its not a good idea to keep her alone.I'm sorry for your loss and hope you are able to make the best choice for your hen.She deserves a 2nd chance. If there are rescue groups near you then maybe they will take her if you don't make her a pet or get anymore chickens.Wishing you the best.

Back
Top Bottom