Rehoming roosters - Conflicted - needing input please

Thank you to all who responded. I made my decision and the roosters have been re-homed to a suitable farm. I pray that they will have a good life there and be an asset to the farmer. I have peace yet I miss them already. I appreciated all the advice and opinions posted.

Just to add, if your two young cockerels are the sons of Chickovsky, they might have the same traits as their father. I believe those traits are not acceptable to you, so you might want to breed a bird with a more mellow disposition. I would literally nip it in the bud and not let those cockerels breed your flock. You might want to add to your flock, a rooster with a cool and calm demeanor.

Rooster #1 - Chickovsky - 1 years old - hates my husband - his 2 hens have lost feathers from his obsessive copulating. Yet he is very sweet with them when they lay eggs - sits by them in the coop while they are in the nesting box; he very protective and shares his bug finds with them. But does this sweetness over-ride the aggression with my husband and occasionally he has attacked me out of the blue and him hurting his girls on their backs? I also worry that he will hurt the flock girls when I integrate them.

Rooster #2 & 3 - Chickovskys 2 sons - 10 weeks oldView attachment 3530042 - Both are becoming bullies in their 12 girl henhouse. Pecking the girls, pushing them away as they eat, chasing them around.

I realize the roosters are an asset for predator alarm even though they are in a fully enclosed run; the young boys could settle down when Chickovsky is introduced ;they keep the girls from hen pecking each other and of course fertilizing eggs.
How will Chickovsky's ladies respond if I re-home him? Why do I feel so conflicted in making the final decision.
I really need some feedback. This is my first experience with chickens and roosters. Please help.
View attachment 3530043
The replies from others have already said what I think too, but for me, any rooster that shows human aggression is GONE
Ultimately Im number 1 Im the head “rooster” and if the boy can’t get that straight he’s not staying. There are farrrrr too many roosters in need of good homes. There is absolutely no need to put up with aggressive behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom