reintegrating from isolation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amastacia, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Amastacia

Amastacia Chirping

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i have a 2 month old Polish chick that got out of the chick pen in the coop and was beat up by the year old hens a while back. she has been in isolation since but is all healed up nicely and i think it is past time to put her back with the other chicks (13 others, same age as her). i'm a little worried about just putting her back in the pen with them, since she is my only Polish and i know sometimes someone who looks so different will get singled out and picked on. i don't know if the 2 weeks she has been away from them will have been long enough for them to forget that she is one of them.

any advice?

2. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She will most likely be a stranger to them and at the bottom of the pecking order. When people have a single "bully," they often remove it for a week then return it, because it should return at the bottom of the pecking order.

3. Amastacia

Amastacia Chirping

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i put her back with the rest yesterday and then stayed in the coop with them for a while (the hens were out ranging so i let the chicks have the whole coop for a while). oddly, the one doing the bullying was the Polish. she would charge at a few of the other chicks, especially the 4 white/mostly white ones. hopefully they will all calm down before anyone gets hurt [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by