Reintegration by supervised visits ?

How many birds?
They may be more apt to squabble going to roost than in the morning,
mine bicker like crazy almost everyday at roost time even tho they've been together for 2 months and I have like 3 times the roost space needed,
but if she can overcome getting up there, she should be fine in the morning.

Best of cLuck!
@aart guess I didn't read this carefully and reacted to the number of birds question and missed the important part
he.gif
the comment indicating less squabble in the morning! I have not been letting them mix together until late afternoon, thinking mornings they were more apt to squabble than in the afternoon.

Again, thank you for your attention, I value your advice and information greatly. I will have a long weekend this week and will definitely start morning freedom trials.

It's all about territory and resources, they fight over roost space, feed and water...so multiples of those always help...and more overall space is good for getting away from an aggressor, hiding places 'out of line of sight' and/or up and away.

Making progress, let them them mingle for over an two hours this afternoon and no serious problems. Will be taking aart's advice this weekend! And try letting Penny out and go to roost with the flock.

Last edited:
OMG, 2 hours visitation in confined area 7X10 feet and only minor pecking order tiffs!!
yippiechickie.gif
No human intervention at all!

Tomorrow plan to let Penny out early am and watch close and try for a whole day. If no major issues will see if she can go to roost with the flock.

Throwing in the towel - at least for now.
hit.gif

Let her out of cage 30 minutes after daybreak and things were worse than expected. Lillie and Road Runner attacked at the same time and as soon as I stopped that, the formerly passive Tweedie attacked her with high aggression. Thankful for my water spray bottle. No one was injured, but Penny was happy to get back in her safe cage. But from what transpired, I am certain that they would have killed her had I just placed her in the coop last night.

So, I have just visited a local farm that makes small ark tractor coops and have ordered one to be built for Penny. It will give her more room and a loft to roost and nest in with more protection against the upcoming cooler weather. It will take up more room in the run, but the 3 bad gals will have to deal with it and adjust. Now figuring a way to divide the area to allow Penny more regular unsupervised, safe exercise.

The lady who will be building Penny's coop has a chicken farm. She has everything from a few days old up to grandma's and suggested I might consider adding a pullet in with Penny and then try a duo introduction. An option I might consider in the future. Or (don't tell DH) build another coop/run for Penny and get her several new flock mates
smile.png
. Or even better, get some fertile eggs next time she gets broody and let raise her own biddies...
jumpy.gif

Update: have had her in a very large metal dog crate in the run for one week, tried to let her out to mingle, and the 3 other Hens attacked her. Placed her back in the dog crate and plan to try again in another week.
I reintroduced mine by first putting her in their cage when the other hens were outside of it. I figured they would get used to her scent being there before they actually saw the bird, and she would get familiar with her new location without the additional stress of the other birds.

Then I did supervised visits, and "pecked" anyone who tried to start a fight with the tip of a long, thin branch. That seemed to work.

Once there was no fighting I left them alone.

Hi. I've been lurking, but your question covers what I just went through! I had two broody girls, one of whom was more than ready to go back to the flock, the other was not at all ready. The chicks are all the same age, just difference in the moms' opinions. I foolishly reintroduced poor little Rosie (who HAD to go back, because she actually killed one of her babies) and she was brutally beat up, even by my two mellowest girls. When it came time for Lady to return, though, I just let her free roam for a couple days. She always headed back to the big coop/run. Then I let the rest of the big girls roam with her. That night, they all, including Lady, went to bed in the big coop. She has been picked on just a teeny bit, but nothing bad. Rosie had to live in the least favorite nesting box for a week or so because they wouldn't let her out. Lady has the run of the place. This is the way I'll do it now. Let them free range where there is plenty of room for the odd man (chicken) out to run and plenty of cover. I know it won't necessarily always work this way, but it was so smooth this time.

Back
Top Bottom