Reintroduce Hen to Flock

mrshoneyc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
My new cockrel (had him about a month now) attacked my lead hen the other day. I'm guessing it was b/c she was sneezing and wheezing. I've had her in the house now for 5 days (treated with VetRx and Tylan 50) and no more wheezing or sneezing (she's been good for 2 days now) and the hole on her head where he attacked her is closed up. I tried taking her up with the flock earlier today, and ended up bringing her back in the house as he had her so scared she was hiding (I almost didn't find her!)

Question is: Should I put her up there tonight (it's "warmer" than it's been recently, not very windy and not rainy) and hope for the best or put her up there and bring him into the house for a day (to try to let her not be afraid)? I don't need her as a permanent house guest, although she's very polite!

TY in advance, all you chicken experts!

Well, reading and reading I decided I ought to put her up with the others tonight. I moved things around in the 10x10 run and moved large things around the 100x100 enclosure. I also propped a few more pieces of plywood along the fence, as they like to "hide" behind that. Here's hoping I made the right decision!

I would keep an eye on them tomorrow. Young cockerels can be a terror for awhile, and they will attack some hens who won't submit. I found an older Polish hen of mine lying in a ditch scalped last week by one of my young fellows, and sometimes it is good to put the cockerels in their own pens for awhile to calm down. I might take him out for a few days so that she can get reaquainted with the other hens first.

TY for the reply. I will be up there before daylight and keep a hawks eye on them. If need be, I will crate him. TY for the reply. I'm really nervous now! We got him about a month ago and it's been okay until Cleopatra started sneezing and wheezing. She's totally better now, so I'm hoping!

Back
Top Bottom