Reintroducing quarantine chick to the flock - oh my

LockChicks

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
Oh boy - so I was concerned that my quarantine girl would have a little trouble being reintroduced but oh boy. My flock is full of little jerks. So yeah I feel like garbage because it didn’t go well and they even drew blood - so rescued her from the little jerks and she’s back inside. We have the worst weather for reintroduction. I can’t just stick her out there separated she will freeze. So yay feeling a bit defeated. I knew better but tried it anyway. Dumb. Luckily I have two coops. One is small and the flock roosts in there. One I will winterize tomorrow while we have a decent weather and I’ll put up separation fencing (since coops are on opposite side of the run). But what to do when it dips in temp. The lone chick is not going to do well. Ugh just venting

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy - so I was concerned that my quarantine girl would have a little trouble being reintroduced but oh boy. My flock is full of little jerks. So yeah I feel like garbage because it didn’t go well and they even drew blood - so rescued her from the little jerks and she’s back inside. We have the worst weather for reintroduction. I can’t just stick her out there separated she will freeze. So yay feeling a bit defeated. I knew better but tried it anyway. Dumb. Luckily I have two coops. One is small and the flock roosts in there. One I will winterize tomorrow while we have a decent weather and I’ll put up separation fencing (since coops are on opposite side of the run). But what to do when it dips in temp. The lone chick is not going to do well. Ugh just venting
If it were me, I would keep her in the house and slowly bring her out to be with the others. You can separate her in a dog crate or run, as well, as long as the others can't touch her. This is known as the "see no touch" method. I wouldn't worry about the temperatures during the day, but I would definitely bring her in overnight. Chickens actually have a really high body temperature underneath all those feathers. Its going to be hard just introducing one bird, but its going to be possible. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, I would keep her in the house and slowly bring her out to be with the others. You can separate her in a dog crate or run, as well, as long as the others can't touch her. This is known as the "see no touch" method. I wouldn't worry about the temperatures during the day, but I would definitely bring her in overnight. Chickens actually have a really high body temperature underneath all those feathers. Its going to be hard just introducing one bird, but its going to be possible. Good luck!
My neighbor told me to just throw one of his smaller roosters in with them and he will sort it out. Ugh

My neighbor told me to just throw one of his smaller roosters in with them and he will sort it out. Ugh
Roosters can help, but they won't prevent bloodshed completely. Not gonna work, especially if the rooster isn't on top of the pecking order. Once theres blood, the others will peck at the blood. Chickens are attracted to red.

I also had a sick chicken who took FOREVER to quarantine and introduce back into the flock. However, its not impossible.

When you put the lone chick in a coop by herself, maybe you can give her ONE of the others for a companion in her coop. (Obviously, watch to see how that works, but one will not outnumber her the way a large group does.)

If she can do well with one companion, you might be able to add another in a few days, and then you'll have a group of three. By that point, you will have a group to introduce back to the main flock, rather than just a singleton.

When you put the lone chick in a coop by herself, maybe you can give her ONE of the others for a companion in her coop. (Obviously, watch to see how that works, but one will not outnumber her the way a large group does.)

If she can do well with one companion, you might be able to add another in a few days, and then you'll have a group of three. By that point, you will have a group to introduce back to the main flock, rather than just a singleton.
This I love, and I think will work.
Right now, we have sectioned the Run in 1/2 and she is outside enjoying her dust bath today - made me happy to see that.

I threw a bunch of treats for everyone as we put her into her side, and she walked over to the fence and stood her ground (through the fence) as head hen and the sidekick jerk hen came over with tails blazing. (never seen them act that way). It was nice to see her throw some feet and fluff up when they first ran to the fence before she realized they couldn't get her.

So of the 5 remaining hens, I am watching closely to make sure I can tell the pecking order - which I never paid attention to before.
Right now, it looks like this:
(Yes, my names are terrible I am no good at naming anything. )

1. Sweet Girl - queen B
2. Whitey - queen B's B
3/4.Roo's Girl or Trump
5. Felicia

I'll keep an eye on them, probably tomorrow will introduce Felicia and then Trump later this week, and then by next week, perhaps the wall will come down and they can sort it out with less issues. I wont rush it this time for sure.

Hi NatJ,
So, I managed to introduce one other hen to her so far - with no issues, very nice behaviors and they are just doing their thing. I now will start moving the other lowbies in and monitor - probably one more later this afternoon after she lays. I am still bringing her in at night, but if I can manage to get three of them together I may let them stay in the other coop this evening since our temps are pretty good. I don't want to rush it since its going well.

Hi NatJ,
So, I managed to introduce one other hen to her so far - with no issues, very nice behaviors and they are just doing their thing. I now will start moving the other lowbies in and monitor - probably one more later this afternoon after she lays. I am still bringing her in at night, but if I can manage to get three of them together I may let them stay in the other coop this evening since our temps are pretty good. I don't want to rush it since its going well.
Getting even better :)
Now I have 3 vs 3
Team Ree-Ree and Team Sweet Girl

I'm going to let them stay out in the coops tonight and then tomorrow I will introduce the next one, and keep my fingers crossed :)

So, the final update of the week = success.

I did push it a little because of the weather we are expecting as the day goes on, but was lucky. Now my six girls can all curl up together tonight as our temps plummet after a pretty good weather week.

There was zero fighting, just a few normal head plucks and no one squabbled. What an experience.

So, the final update of the week = success.

I did push it a little because of the weather we are expecting as the day goes on, but was lucky. Now my six girls can all curl up together tonight as our temps plummet after a pretty good weather week.

There was zero fighting, just a few normal head plucks and no one squabbled. What an experience.
So glad to hear you got it done! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom