Reintroducing quarantined hen back into flock

How great! I'm happy to hear it. Those doggie crates that are too small for our dogs, turn out to be excellent chicken hospitals! Best of luck!
hugs.gif

Great post! Helpful for me with a sick hen. I will try to re-introduce her like a new flock member. Her first foray was unsuccessful, as the roo that has been with the flock 5 days mercilessly attacked her when I put her out. He met her, and she was gone 1.5 days, but I guess he doesn't have much of a memory.

Been following your thread...so glad Phyllis is well and back with the flock! I have been using a dog crate with an insulated cover for one of my hens "Sister" who has a sprained leg, really handy to have. Everyday I take her outside with the flock to pick clover for a while...so far they haven't treated her any different. Hopefully she will be back in the hen house soon!

I had a possum attack on my flock of three and lost one of my girls. So the two have been separated while Lorraine convalesced from surgery a month ago. Most of her feathers have grown back & the staples are coming out. I am nervous about her being put back in with Edith. Neither surviving chicken was the lead hen so hopefully they'll be fine.

I too have a quarantined bird. She is off to the vet today to get her leg inspected because of a bad gimp she's had for months. I am relieved she is going to get help but I am very worried about reintroducing her to the others. I had a thought though. Would it be a good Idea to bring her out once or twice a day to see them? Let them see her for a bit every day? Would that prevent total banishment or Would that be wasting my time? I do not want her to suffer anymore bullying

I've had 6 productive & enjoyable hens for 2 years. We suffered a possum attack a month ago & Nellie was the primary victim. She's been staying in the garage & I've tried to reintroduce her twice but Rosie won't leave her alone & Nellie won't defend herself. When sping comes I think I can accommodate Nellie separate but adjacent to the other girls but in the meantime my garage is aa smelly, poopy mess. Any suggestions?

I too have started the process of reintroduction to the flock, as posted before cat attack, severe neck wound 3 inch wide and 4.5 inches of skin, feathers and all ripped out, big chest wound sutured and back wounds as well....took her well over a month to get over the initial injury....caged in dog crate...and sunroom (uck...that's the DH..could have attacked him for letting her have the full sunroom with plenty of plastic drop cloth and shavings on the floor, as well as all other objects covered in plastic and sheets....month 3 she is definitely mended and we had daily been meet and greet with the girls and rooster first with me holding her just to see the others...then the rooster got love sick....gave her PTSD...she would run to the door body banging it to get away from the rooster...finally after 3 days of putting her temporary home on the deck outside, she hung out around the group but no joining.., tried out the coop...roosted so alone...then here comes our rooster love sick to the point my husband asked if there was a blow up chicken for him...after 3 sessions I think that established something ....as she is roosting inside with the girls and rooster..first night away from her room, kennel and me...her surrogate mother hen....will see how she does in the am after I open up the coop....I did do a quick peek around ten...shes on the end..just looking at the door and my flashlight...a tad bit stressed some panting going on...but we shall see if that did the trick....the girls seem to not have any problems and the rooster declared her fit enough to engage in a lot of S&M...
brutal...poor thing..finally just decided to give up fighting...no wounds were re-opened ...so here's to having a free room again, clean and fresh...and sanitized for my protection...and her acceptance hopefully into the flock...

so good luck to you in your ventures...its been a long journey for homeless guy (he is a she) we just gave her my husbands nickname..as he almost truly was near being homeless after letting her have a full room and no assist on the 3x day poop patrol etc...

so after the trauma...was it worth trying to save her or better to put her down...we saved her because she had the will go survive 4 days alone in hiding til she came out...and she now has the best of both worlds me as secondary security as well as her flocks...

Back
Top Bottom