1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reintroduction following lice treatment

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by zooarch, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zooarch

zooarch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I think I have finally killed all the lice. Knock on wood, cross your fingers, and throw some salt over your shoulder.

I got three new birds earlier this fall. They have been quarantined forever (over two months). They were completely healthy, except for lice. The lice didn't show up until they had been here a month. I started treating them. I kept seeing fewer and fewer lice as I treated, but before this last treatment I couldn't find any lice. I treated them again (per my vet's instructions), but now I'm antsy about moving them into the bigger coop. How long have any of you waited before reintroducing lice victims back into the flock? I have two older hens in a brand new coop...I really don't want to transfer lice.

P.S. They were treated with oral ivermectin and dusted with poultry dust.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would just be using the poultry dust or Sevin. I say powder them all when they are together, then wait 3 weeks and powder again. That should do it for a while.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree, but since the eggs hatch in 10 days, I would powder them again in 10 days......Pop

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I agree, but since the eggs hatch in 10 days, I would powder them again in 10 days......Pop

Oops! Got that wrong! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by