Reintroductions

kfoxy

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
Hi all! I acquired 6 chicks in April, two of whom were a couple weeks older than the others. I ended up moving the older ones to a bigger brooder together and they have since moved outside where they are doing well. The four babies are still in a brooder but are about ready to move outside as well. Do you have any tips for integrating them back together? I have a wire dog crate I can put them in during the day inside the run but I don’t have another coop to put them in at night. Can I just bring them back inside at night or will that undo the good that was done during the day? Thanks in advance for your guidance!

They should be fine together. I do separate mine just in case and just let them look at each other for a week even when they are young so they can check each other out first. You will see chasing and bulling until they get the pecking order situated either way. Of course you'll still always end up with the one underdog. Mine happens to be a little brown silkie and they even push her to the point of laying eggs in the run instead of the nesting box. 😒 Mean ole chickens!

They should be fine together. I do separate mine just in case and just let them look at each other for a week even when they are young so they can check each other out first. You will see chasing and bulling until they get the pecking order situated either way. Of course you'll still always end up with the one underdog. Mine happens to be a little brown silkie and they even push her to the point of laying eggs in the run instead of the nesting box. 😒 Mean ole chickens!

Poor girl! If they pick on my sweet little Orpington there will be hell to pay!

Back
Top Bottom