Reject Hatching Eggs - aka "The Undesirable Egg Experiment"

Day 5! Lumpy officially has zero development. The other 11 eggs all appear to have development, including Crackles, Rocket, and Sticky! A few are harder to see through today than they were a few days ago...I may need to charge my flashlight, lol.

View attachment 2035790
I like this sort of hunger-games style elimination graphic.

Thanks! So far, so good! I think the real test for Rocket will be rotating to hatch. If Sticky isn't affected by the funk on the shell she should be just fine. Crackles will be the true test because it is a significant crack and can open up the potential for bacteria but I'm always careful to sanitize my incubators so fingers crossed! :fl
And yes Lumpy had nothing to show me, just a yolk and it broke in my hand while I was looking for the blastodisc.
How many days was it in before you cracked it? I can’t remember how many days (helpful, huh?) but after a certain number of days of incubation, you can’t see see the blastodisc or blastoderm. I can’t wait to follow along!!!

How many days was it in before you cracked it? I can’t remember how many days (helpful, huh?) but after a certain number of days of incubation, you can’t see see the blastodisc or blastoderm. I can’t wait to follow along!!!

I opened it on day 5, that would make sense then! There definitely wasn't anything developing though. Tomorrow is day 10, I may have to peek at them again, lol.

Where did you hear that? Just curious. I've never heard that before. You learn something new everyday! :)

Where did you hear that? Just curious. I've never heard that before. You learn something new everyday! :)
So I read it in an article. It was about eggs reacting to temps and there were a few things I remember... one that you can still eat an egg up to like 7 days of incubation if it’s infertile. :sick

one of the others was that after a certain point, I felt like a midpoint, you could not check to see if a non developing egg had ever been fertilized because the blastodisc will be gone. I’ll have to try and find it now I’m curious too. I’ve actually never opened a clear egg during incubation myself so I have no idea.

So I read it in an article. It was about eggs reacting to temps and there were a few things I remember... one that you can still eat an egg up to like 7 days of incubation if it’s infertile. :sick

one of the others was that after a certain point, I felt like a midpoint, you could not check to see if a non developing egg had ever been fertilized because the blastodisc will be gone. I’ll have to try and find it now I’m curious too. I’ve actually never opened a clear egg during incubation myself so I have no idea.
That is gross! 😂 It will be interesting if you try it! Always an excuse to hatch more eggs ;)

I wonder if I've ever kept a clear that long, lol. I may have just overlooked it. It did break as I was rolling it so I gave up at that point. :lol:

following to get the final results. intresting experiment. We often find a hidden clutch and incubate them with indifference to quality of the eggs. Have had amazing luck on these hatches. Maybe I need to post some such experiment in the future. Have gotten sume ugly but loveable chickens from our mixed flock this way.

Back
Top Bottom