releasing ducks into the wild?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Jun 21, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so the 4 ducklings the cat brought in are all feathered up and getting restless out there. we've tried to have minimal contact with them and let them 'find' there own food as much as possible. but now the time has come where they are out growing the enclosure (they are 6 weeks old) shall i just open the door and let them 'come and go' ?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    What type ducks are they
    But if they cant fly yet its not safe for them in the wild yet

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    they are mallards. no they cant fly yet. we live on the edge of a river and ive seen so many ducks around the same age/size, thought maybe they would like to go and join them? if not i suppose i'll have to find something bigger for them

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    There is not an adult bird to protect them or teach them how to fend for themselves or to avoid predators. If you release them now they will be unable to fly away if they are picked on by the other ducks or if there is danger and they will die.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks don't always play nice even if they are in the same age group. Wait until they can fly.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I had a mallard rescue duck. She stayed several months. They are not good at flying right a way and have to build up wing strength first by practicing. Best for now would be to give access to an outdoor, but enclosed back yard. They will fly out, but they will also fly back in. The first time my wild duck flew was with a crash landing on the roof. Then she called me like something killed her. Only to see her walk up and down on the roof trying to figure out how to get back down. It was hilarious. They will need a pool to practice their swimming and even to sleep in the water. Let them fly over the property, because that is how they learn about the area. Eventually they will fly away when it is time for them. Just don't rush it, they will know when it is right for them. Be prepared that they may stay for up to 4 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by