1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Releasing goldfish in a pond?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have 2 goldfish one is about an inch and the other is about 3 inches long. Would it be ok if I rehomed them into a big pond?

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I would ask what sort of pond, and where. If it a pond on your property or a friend's property, than fine, otherwise not. Releasing non-native species is a bad idea. I have a goldfish pond, if my fish get out, they die. Don't release into a pond in a park or other public space, or into a natural waterway. You have the non-native species factors, the chance of putting disease into a natural habitat, and the prospect of putting pets on the predator menu.

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I there are any other fish in there, they will get eaten in a heartbeat. We have a pond just for our goldfish and some are almost 6 inches long now. All started as carnival fish and we just threw them in the pond.

4. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    If you put them in a pond and protect them from predators within a year they will grow up to a foot. I'll never keep goldfish in a tank now I have seen how they can grow. The pond needs to be big enough to keep the water fresh, or heavily planted, or filtered though. Goldfish thrive in a pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by