Releasing waterfowl - graphic pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks. I only suggested it because her passion reminds me of my own. I always wanted a horse, but because I live in a subdivision and couldn't afford boarding or keeping a horse of my own. I volunteered at local stables, cleaning out stalls, and doing the odd jobs in exchange for riding time. My favorite volunteer area was a therapuetic center that helped both the horses and the disabled children.

I also have a fatuation with puppies, so I helped foster them for the local shelter. I get all the puppies I could possibly want, and I help them stay tame and have a better chance to have a good home.

We all have passion for a reason, it's just a matter of applying it to the correct area. Passion is wonderful, it is even better when placed in the correct application.

-Kim

Same thing here. I fostered for several years, because I was too young to provide a dog with the care it deserves at the time. When I had a stable income, I adopted.
smile.png

I think you have good intentions, but you are definitely doing it the wrong way. Please take all this good advice and take it to heart!!

Islauds, just a heads up:

As an ex Animal Control Officer I can tell you that what you are doing is against Federal law, and you can face serious PRISON time when you get caught.

I was very unsure of posting the photos but I just felt like the words weren’t sinking in. I apologize if anyone was upset by them. I tried to put a warning but couldn’t since i wasn’t able to edit the thread

I am also thankful for all of you that sent me notes of encouragement. Not everyone was nice, some of you think of animals as meat, and I am not vegetarian either, but i don’t think people should cause suffering. No amount of angry words will change that! If she was hatching puppies and dumping them into the wild every person on the planet would be up in arms. And like it or not dogs are meat too! in this country as well as others, you just don’t know about it. Its not really any different.

Not only is this practice illegal in almost the entire united states. the removal of wild ducks and their eggs for her to imprint and raise is wrong. I could list a thousand resources on why putting domestic ducks into a wild population is bd. Including different bacteria’s and diseases, chasing off native birds who need the lake to survive, etc.
No flaming, just putting together some comments made by this person on the board. You decide what you want from it but i think you’ll see almost every post contradicts the next.
I like to clarify that I do not steal eggs from the wild Mallards' nests. I have once (two to be exact) and I did hatch one successfully and I do not prefer Mallards,

Now I have three eggs I bought from New Jersey and two from Hope's nest, which I believe can't be considered stealing, seeing as she is not categorized as a 'wild' breed

As this Are newborn Mallards supposed to be this small??

I got two mallard duck eggs and put them in the incubator, than I got one other and added it in a week after the other two.

Posted on 4/17/08 - What kind of eggs are you hatching? Mallards.

I Pogo came from a wild Mallard's nest

So I pipped around 5:00 PM today, and my mother is really worried, because the last one died.

Okay I'm afraid I have an early hatch. I'm hatching a mallard duckling and it's only day 21.

So I'm hatching a what I believe is a Giant Pekin duck egg.

I know ducks are very hard to tell when they will actually pip, the last one that died pipped on day 24

Posted 4/17/08 - I hatched a hybrid duck about two months ago and he's part Giant Pekin and I noticed that once he hatched and could stand - I'm hatching two more and am 90% positive they are the same breed

Posted on 4/17/08 as well Okay, first time hatcher here, and here's the story..(removed) ..it died..Thanks for the advice though. I have another question, so now I have another egg

I used to find eggs (always a lonesome one) and tried to hatch it under a heat lamp in a box, they were usually infertile to begin with.

Anyone know where I can get just ONE band for my duck? I'm releasing it in a public lake and I would like to know which one it is once it grows identical

Nope. It's the same duck. Her name is Hope and she comes when I call her. She is the only giant pekin in our lake. Just accept the fact that domesticated ducks can live in the wild. But they are fed like everyday, literally. I give them duck crumbles as well when Hope and her WILD friends come and visit my house. She has even laid one fertile egg, which she laid not in a nest, and I stumbled upon it and it 's now sitting in my incubator, fertile and into it's second week.

PLEASE. I wouldn't hatch the duck in the first place if I was that stupid. I'm not going to release it into the wild when it's a baby. I just want to know where I can get a band for the duck's leg so I can identify it from all the others when it's a mature duck. And, I'm releasing it into a huge lake with subdivisions fully surrounding it, so no predators except hawks.

Actually my friend released a full grow female pekin duck about 4 years ago in my public lake and she's doing just fine. Plus, where I live the lake does freeze in the winter, but there is always a place that isn't. Also, the lowest temp. this winter was 27 degrees, and it hardly ever snows

We have a black swedish, Tennessee, and a male Hybrid 300, we did have a female hybrid, but she passed many years ago by being frozen in the ice.

like to post an update here. Three domestic raised ducks were released in my lake over two weeks ago and are fitting in completely fine

Also, I known that predators and miscellaneous are not problems at this lake due to the fact that there are ducks that are easily recognized and Tennessee (a black swedish male) has been at the lake for over seven years now.

We have a blue swedish duck that has been in public lake for about five years and he was released as well.

Trust me, I care enough about ducks (always have since I was four) to not be an idiot to put these precious animals in an unsafe habitat.

Now I know for fact that some of the other ducks we have were also released. We had another pekin, but he did pass due to a injury to his leg and then shock.

Sadly, one day I found Susan (pekin) alone on her back with a broken leg, I took her to a bird care center and they had to put her down due to other health problems. Meanwhile Bob (pekin) just disappeared

first hatched Pogo a female Mallard who sadly disappeared

My favorite is that she is asking a wildlife center/bird rescue to treat these ducks. Bringing them into the world dumping them and asking a non profit rescue to foot the bill when they get injured. I get these people all the time and they make me furious because they create a problem and take advantage of a rescue so they dont have to pay for their animals!:mad:

Ugh, those poor ducks. I'm talking about the ones Islauds "helps" as well as the ones in the photos.
When my best friends cousin was about two and a half maybe three, he hugged his kitty to death. Literally. He was just a baby though. Islauds should have some comprehension skills.
Sometimes we think we are doing something nice, but in reality....

Personaly I think the poster should be Booted from the forum for Plain Ignorance!! Judging by all the quotes by this person they are sick.
Give them the size 10 in the Keister and block their IP addy, Or at least post it in the secret Mod section so they can't join in another name.

Last edited:
Sorry folks. But I have no choice but to close this thread. BYC cannot allow or endorse by default an illegal act by leaving this thread open.

Kurtis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom