1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Religion and chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Oblio13, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Rather than hijack one of the many prayer threads, here's a new one. Seems to me that "Back Yard Chickens" is rapidly becoming "Back Yard Fundamentalist Proselytizing". I don't think anyone minds an occasional reference to any religion, and most of us actively enjoyed the token Moslem that we had for a while, but ...

A poster in another thread claimed that people who "want to pray and praise God" are being harassed. I feel more like people who want to learn about chickens are being annoyed with an overdose, like sitting on an airplane next to a Jehovah's Witness when you just want to read a book.

If there were a few threads here about, say, Romanesque architecture, no one would mind them and some would enjoy them. But if they became a huge percentage of the total threads, and folks were very intolerant of any dissenting opinions, the subject would grow old and seem inappropriate for a chicken forum.

Discuss amongst yourselves, I'll be right back. [​IMG]

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Here-here!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh our dear Oblio, you're so right. We Christians should put away the guns we've been holding to your head to force you to read those posts that are clearly marked as being for fellow-Christians.

If you want to start an pro-aviation thread, all us former Commercial Airport Noise Abatement Technicians will be sure to avoid reading it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. rubyv67

rubyv67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Daggett,CA
    [​IMG] I am a christian, but I totally agree with you. A few times I've read a prayer request and started crying. I was trying to take my mind off things, so I wanted to escape in the chicken world. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I appreciate when religion is in there it should say in the thread title the subject matter and only be in say the family section. [​IMG]

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm not religious at all, but I am spiritual in a sense. If it gets too heavy in the religious tone, I just don't read it. But it doesn't bother me either, most people here are good people and are allowed to express themselves.

I wonder how long this thread is going to last. [​IMG]

6. tomcio

tomcio Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    Quote:Personally I am more interested in neo-Gothic architecture of the late 19th century, but who am I to judge your beliefs [​IMG] Also, you could check out the Kornik (chicken coop in Polish) castle. Don't we all wish we'd have this for our chickens.. Strike that, I want it for myself!

I agree, less God(s) talk, more chicken action. On that note, I got my first button quail egg yesterday!

7. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I'm a religious liberal and I'd love to have a place to talk about religion and how raising my own food is apart of my spiritual path. Maybe there should be a "file" for religious topics? That way it's all in one place and not bothering anyone who isn't interested.

Dove

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Oblio13, and anyone who feel as this person does, y'all should exercise your rights......just don't read it. No one is forcing you. It's YOUR choice which threads to read so don't blame us.

9. Isn't that why we have a listing for the thread, gives a person what the thread is about, and if you want to read it or not.I am religious, and I read them but that is my decision to read them. Others I don't find interesting I just skip over
    I think its great that BYC is open minded enough that we can post and read something religious.and ask for prayer when we need it, So if yur not religious, skip us, we love you anyway. marrie

10. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Isn't that why we have a listing for the thread, gives a person what the thread is about, and if you want to read it or not.I am religious, and I read them but that is my decision to read them. Others I don't find interesting I just skip over
    I think its great that BYC is open minded enough that we can post and read something religious.and ask for prayer when we need it, So if yur not religious, skip us, we love you anyway. marrie

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by