Relocated a raccoon 10 miles away, that should do it.

I bet that baby by killed by own kind.Like humans,animals don't take kindly to strangers in their territory. I have relocated and I have killed.Either way I am happier that there is 20 less coons in my little yard stalking my hens, and leaving a ton of roundworm eggs for my kids to come across.

If you won't kill them you should atleast move them. They will overpopulate and become more of an issue over time.One good thing about them is the ticks go on them and not us.

I agree the world is indeed pointless.Hope for the best and prep for the worst.

Last edited:
I will just learn to live with them. I will not kill animals for just trying to survive. My chickens are safe in their coop and run and my dogs protect them during the day. A bobcat has killed 2 of my roosters while they free roamed. I saw the bobcat while deer hunting and could have easily killed it. All and all, these posts are pointless because nobody agrees on this topic. I am glad I started this post though because I learned that relocating an animal does more harm than simply shooting it.

:thumbsup

I bet that baby by killed by own kind.Like humans,animals don't take kindly to strangers in their territory. I have relocated and I have killed.Either way I am happier that there is 20 less coons in my little yard stalking my hens, and leaving a ton of roundworm eggs for my kids to come across.

If you won't kill them you should atleast move them. They will overpopulate and become more of an issue over time.One good thing about them is the ticks go on them and not us.

I agree the world is indeed pointless.Hope for the best and prep for the worst.

I was trying to be funny; this slightly dry sense of humor of mine often fails via the 'net (OK, ok ... it often fails, no matter the medium ~'-)

But, despite my optimistic nature? I gotta admit that the statement rings true ... be forever hopeful, but in all ways prepared.

Anyone know if racoons can find their way back home from a 50 mile minimum relocation?

I watch a show on PBS about raccoons and they have very small home territories. There is no way one would get home from 50 miles away. However, I also discovered that relocating them is crueler than just killing them because they usually starve or are killed by other coons.

The ones with the small territories would be the urban ones that are close to garbage bins and human food sources. The rural ones would need a bigger home range as the food source would be spread out more.
Depends, if the coon is desperate....5 miles a day for 10 days should get him back to where it was prior to being trapped.
But I don't see it not finding somewhere along the way to stop and set up shop in that 50 miles...

Back
Top Bottom