Relocated Chickens

jennymay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
We have just rescued a couple of chickens from a friend that had to move. The chickens were laying eggs before but since the move have not laid an eggt in three days. Does this seem normal and does anyone have any idea of how long it might be before they start laying again?

Yes we are feeding them the same food but i have noticed some feathers laying around

Do you have a nest box for them? Even a cardboard box with hay will do. If you can, try to find something that looks like an egg to put in the nest box -- golf ball, plastic easter egg, etc. Keep their stress level down by letting them acclimate to their new surroundings without too much interference from you and family. It can take weeks for them to start, but it might also be just a few days. It also, depends on the breed and age of chicken. Some breeds slow down dramatically as it gets colder. Some breeds lay fewer eggs than others. Older hens tend to lay less frequently than when they were young. The amount of light they receive is important, too. Are they getting enought light in the coop?
The young Mille Fleur leghorn I bought recently took 2 days to start laying. I left her alone except to feed her.
Good luck.
Dale-Ann

Last edited:
Quote:
that's nice to know. i picked up 4 freeloaders a couple of weeks ago and was starting to think i had been duped because she promised that they were egg layers...
fl.gif

Quote:
Stress from the relocation could be responsible for bringing on a molt. It's also the time of year that molts normally happen anyway. If your new birds are molting then you will not be seeing any eggs for several weeks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom