Relocating my duck's egg to her "new" nest. Should I do it?

deltav

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2022
I have two muscovy ducks. The female laid her first egg last Friday. She chose one of the holes she made on the ground as her nest. Last morning and earlier this morning, however, she laid another 2 eggs in the duck house, which means she has two different nests in two different locations.

I'm afraid (but hoping), however, that she'll continue laying eggs in her nest in the duck house, while the first egg she laid outside will remain there, abandoned. So far I've seen her go to that nest every now and then.

My question is: should I do something about this? Would it be fine to get the first egg and place it with its "siblings"? Or should I just let it be? Or perhaps I should wait a couple more days to see if she'll indeed continue to lay in the duck house?

From my previous research, it seems that it's normal for ducks to lay eggs in multiple locations, but I haven't seen a case where a single female duck lays in multiple places. Because the issue is, how would she hatch eggs that in two separate locations?

Last edited:
In the future if you are hatching don't wash eggs. If you wash the bloom off they lose the protection nature gives them and are susceptible to bacteria. If there is really icky like poop, take a dry paper towel and gently brush the worst away. But just dirt won't hurt. I would also candle when she leaves the nest to see if developing. Has she begun dedicated sitting.

Oh, okay, thank you @Magnolia Ducks , I'll keep that in mind.

As an update: the duck has gone broody two or so days ago. She's hatching the 18 eggs she laid since I posted, and only leaves the duck house in the evening to eat.

One question that I have: since she started hatching, she's been making this "tweet" noise very frequently, usually when she sees us. She sounds like a bird to be honest, and it's a somewhat melancholic tweet. Does anyone know what this sound means? Is she afraid of us? When she's outside foraging, she also doesn't like when we approach her or try to touch her. But I'm guessing this is normal.

Thanks for the help.

Most ducks don't like anyone human or animal around when they are hatching or have hatched. They are being protective of their little ones so they will give a warning sound. Not sure if this is what your hearing though.

I have two muscovy ducks. The female laid her first egg last Friday. She chose one of the holes she made on the ground as her nest. Last morning and earlier this morning, however, she laid another 2 eggs in the duck house, which means she has two different nests in two different locations.

I'm afraid (but hoping), however, that she'll continue laying eggs in her nest in the duck house, while the first egg she laid outside will remain there, abandoned. So far I've seen her go to that nest every now and then.

My question is: should I do something about this? Would it be fine to get the first egg and place it with its "siblings"? Or should I just let it be? Or perhaps I should wait a couple more days to see if she'll indeed continue to lay in the duck house?

From my previous research, it seems that it's normal for ducks to lay eggs in multiple locations, but I haven't seen a case where a single female duck lays in multiple places. Because the issue is, how would she hatch eggs that in two separate locations?
Congratulations 🎉👏
:woot :wee

Good luck with the babies and we're looking forward to seeing them in pictures I expect you to post 😊 😁

Back
Top Bottom