Relocating poults, have ?'s

Tomhusker

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2010
Carson, Iowa
Today I relocated our 3 poults from the brooder box out to the run they will be in until I trust them enough to free range. They are about 6-7 weeks old. I wanted to wait until they were 8 weeks old, but a combination of the heat in the shed they were in and the the fact that they are outgrowing the brooder kinda forced my hand. They are well feathered, and necks are beginning to bald.

My question is regarding feed and water. It took a while before I got them to drink from a water nipple. I have a bottle hanging in the run and wonder if they will recognize the nipple as a source of water. I also changed feed dishes, going to a "One-a-day" fill instead of a larger multi day feeder. Will they do well with these? Will I have to worry about them getting dumb again. have to be hand nursed until they get the hang again.

Thanks

If they can't figure out the waterer, place a open container of water just below the nozzle? for a few days. Feeder shouldn't be a problem. Grab a couple of moths/bugs when you go out and toss the fluttering things on the food, only takes one lesson. If you can run a branch, etc. at an angle in a corner of the fencing about a 1.5ft. above the ground, they'll entertain themselves flying up to roost.

Thanks. After I posted this I went out and one of the little guys was using the new water nipple. The food dish was placed near the water and it looks like they found it as well.

I placed a couple of branches in there for their entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom