Remember the first scene from "Terms of Endearment"......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sammysmom, May 2, 2009.

1. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    where Shirley MacLaine goes into the nursery to check on her baby? She pinches her arm and makes her cry to make sure she is still alive. Well, my baby is celebrating his sixth birthday in a couple of weeks and I've been feeling a bit nostalgic.[​IMG] I remember the first time he slept for more than a couple of hours at night. I woke up in a panic, rushed to his crib, heart pounding. Of course, he was sleeping peacefully, swaddled in his receiving blankets. I can still feel that panic today. Maybe it's because we tried for 16 years before he came along, maybe it's because I'm what the ob/gyns considered an "aged mother" (just loved hearing that term when I was just 39!!)[​IMG] and I am, admittedly, a bit overprotective, but it just floors me when mothers say "oh joy, my baby is sleeping through the night!". They don't express any anxiety over the first time it happened. Maybe they do feel it and don't express it. Does this "first time sleeping through the night panic syndrome" really exist? Or is it just me being my normal psychotic self?[​IMG]

Of course, nowadays, he snores so loudly, I don't even have to physically look at him to know he's breathing. All I have to do is mute the TV and listen to that lovely, melodic nasal music![​IMG]

2. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I understand COMPLETELY. My girls are 12 and 14 and I STILL make sure they are breathing every night!

And LOVE Terms of Endearment... I start crying at the opening credits. My girls and I watched it the other day... first time for them... and we just sobbed.

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] That "mothering" instinct may never go away. My 16 year old slept in late today and it was difficult for me not to go in to check if she was okay.[​IMG]
    I am a little over-protective of my youngest.[​IMG]

4. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Good to know I'm not alone!![​IMG]

"Terms" has been one of my most favorite movies since it first came out! DH knows whenever I pull out that dvd, it's time to hand me the Kleenex and go find something else to do![​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    the last time i pinched a baby was when we got pulled over. pinched my son he started squealing, the MP eventually gave up and let me go. evil mom, i know

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I just wanted to be the first, and probably only, dude to post in this thread.

[​IMG]

7. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Quote:[​IMG] Oooh, you are evil!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by