Remembering Pip-Squeak

Pip-Squeak and Charlotte (she is much smaller and lighter)
IMG_1839-1.jpg

Her beak and ear...status.
IMG_1830-1.jpg

Her left foot (had already hemorraged and then created a bubble of air under skin, started seeping, then crusting up)
IMG_1827.jpg

Right foot, hemorraged severely, now body is absorbing blood under skin and creating the bubble air pocket that the left foot under went. You can also see a small hemorrage lingering under her bottom toe.
IMG_1829.jpg

I spoke with a very generous person over the phone about Pip Squeak (thank you Sonja, for leading me to this wonderful man and for your generosity). He was very knowledgable about poultry medications and conditions. He thought that she has a condition called hemorrhagic dermatitis, instead of biotin deficiency (or along with biotin deficiency). He was generous and giving and agreed to send me medication in the mail for this sweet chick. I will start the meds the moment they come in the mail. I pray and hope that this is the answer. I will continue to administer biotin as well....by crushing the pill dissolved in water. I also put meal worms in the water to flavor it for her to allow me to give it to her thru a dropper. Without the meal worm taste she will not accept the vitamin solution.

I will continue to update.

Jessica

Last edited:
I received the medication Cipro in the mail yesterday from Peter Brown (The Chicken Doctor - www.firststatevetsupply.com ). He was kind enough to send me two pills of Cipro to be cut into 1/8ths. I wrapped the 1/8th of a pill in bread so it would be softer going down and then administered the drug. I started with one yesterday afternoon and then one this morning. It's to be given twice a day.

The hemorraging in her right foot has subsided, now it's a hollow type pocket. The other foot looks like a giant yellowish scab (the entire pad). I have seen her drinking more this morning and last night. She has been eating fine, but haven't seen her at the waterer much.

I do pray and hope that this medicine will help this little bird. We have grown attached to our little "Pip-Squeak".

Thanks Peter and Sonja, for all of your compassion, insight and generosity to help and assist in saving our little chick.

Jessica

Last edited:
Jessica, thank you for the update. Isn't Peter great? I'm hoping and praying the medicine works for Pip Squeak. - Sonja

Here is the update on Pip-Squeak. Well, she is still alive.
smile.png

I started treating her with Cipro twice a day last WED. They were 250 mg pills cut into 1/8ths. I have also been treating her since last TUES. with biotin supplements. I mix a dissolved biotin supplement in water and soak dried meal worms in the water (she won't take the mixture otherwise). I have been doing this about three times a day through a dropper.

The suspected causes of her illness is either Biotin Deficiency or Hemorrhagic Dermatitis.

I read in Vitamins in Animal and Human nutrition By L. R. McDowell about Biotin Deficiency. Many traits of this deficiency seem to match exactly with Pip-Squeak....although, I am not yet sure there is a cure or solution. Will I need to treat her with biotin for her entire life if this is the case? Does anyone have anymore info on this? Her beak started to look better and her feet were making SLOW progress (with either the biotin or antibiotic). For some reason, I started thinking the biotin really wasn't helping much. I thought it was the antibiotic. So a few days ago I stopped the biotin. Her beak became worse and started showing redness again. So yesterday, I continued the biotin.

Peter Brown (The chicken Doctor ) believed it to be Hemorrhagic Dermatitis. Certain traits that she was showing seemed to point to this condition. So I am treating her with Cipro for that.

Still not certain which of these it is for sure....or if she will get better. She is still seperated in a laundry basket with holes all around so she can see the flock. She resides on a towel, that I am keeping cleaning. She has her own water with a poultry vitamin supplement in it. She really wants to be with the others, but she can't be on the harsh wood shavings (pine). I am sure they would peck her anyway.

Here are the photos to update:

HER RIGHT FOOT:

IMG_1930.jpg

NAIL BROKE OFF ONE TOE (NOT SURE HOW):
IMG_1933.jpg

LEFT FOOT:
IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

FACE: Her ear is still showing drainage on both sides. Her beak has red marks on it.
IMG_1940.jpg

UNDER WING / BUBBLE (Not sure if this is normal, but she forms a bubble under her wing when she cheaps):
IMG_1926.jpg

BODY: She is smaller than the rest with weak feathers.
IMG_1951.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Jessica

Last edited:
I agree that she looks better. I'd finish the full course of Cipro while continuing the Biotin. How long did Peter say to use the Cipro? I just have to say, Jessica, that your dedication and devotion to Pip Squeak astounds me. Thank you.

Thanks for your encouragement.
smile.png

I only have a couple more days left of the the Cipro (I had eight days worth to give her).

I will continue with both. Being outside to long irritates her feet to much, so she can only be out for a bit.

Jessica

I took these photos of Pip-Squeak today. She is five weeks old now. I moved her out with the other chicks to the hen house and run. She does not go to the run, I think because she is not totally feathered like the others and because her feet are sore. I am not sure how she will fair on the wood chips, but she seems so happy to be back with her flock.
IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Her feet are still suffering. I will be giving her new meds today or tomorrow in hopes that she will get better soon. The one foot looks like it has gotten worse, however I don't think it's the wood chips because it looks more like the natural progression of the condition that has taken place with the other foot. I am continuing to apply neosporin.
IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

J.

Back
Top Bottom