Remembering Pip-Squeak

poor little thing!
sad.png

Are you sure there isnt a foreign body in her foot?

Ok very far fetched, to compare to, but, in humans, this would look like either a diabetic ulceration, or a foreign body that either the chick stepped on or got caught inside the hollow pocket and even though all these meds. that you took seemed to help the thing was still in her foot.

Don't you have a vet nearby?

I am sorry that this is still continuing! You need to be able to enjoy your babies more.

Yes, I am pretty sure there is not a foreign body in her foot. This has been happening since she came home (1 day old). This started between the toes (you can see in earlier posts). Then it got worse and has just kind of went in cycles.

I am thankful that all the others are fine.

I am going to try the new meds and see what happens.

I do have a vet near by. However, it will cost $57.00 to have her seen. My husband is getting laid off in June, so spending that kind of money at this moment is not possible. I wish, oh how I wish, I could take her to be seen and have someone actually look at her "real" feet, instead of just pics on the web. It's much harder to see when it's just a photo. However, I am taking the best photos I can of this poor chickie to see if others can help me.

I am thankful for Peter Brown, who has been assisting me in trying to get her well. Before I met him, I really didn't have any answers or hope.

J.

PIP SQUEAK
IMG_2388.jpg

HER FACE (rawness and lesions on beak):
IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

HER LEFT FOOT (swelling with splitting skin at toe nails, hemorrhaging and scabbing):
IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

HER RIGHT FOOT (swelling with splitting skin at toe nails, hemorrhaging and scabbing):
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Well, I am not really sure what to think with Pip-Squeak. Her feet seem swollen, enough to break the skin. She is still hemorrhaging. Her beak is still showing signs of rawness and lesions. I feel so awful for her.

I will start the other med tomorrow morning. She also has on and off diahrea (I was thinking from the meds, not sure). I was so hopeful of the meds, but she is seeming to be in more pain now, so now I am wondering if I should put her out of her pain, but the thought of it stresses me to no end. We have worked so hard to try to make her better. I am hoping the other med will work for her.

Any thoughts?
Jessica

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh my goodness- that article sounds exactly like what this poor chick has - even the elongated and arched upper beak. Thanks for posting it, I had never heard of such a thing. Unfortunately, it sounds incurable and is a gene defect.

Jessica - you poor thing - you have poured your heart out on this poor little chick. You have done everything and then some that anyone could possibly do.

Last edited:
So, if I choose to end her suffering, what is the most humane way of doing so? I just can't imagine doing this to her, we've cared for her so long and so much, she's my three year old's favorite (of, course).

I absolutely do not have the funds to take her to the vet, my husband has been laid off and the vet bill to take her was not cheap. I know that may sound horrible, but we just can't do it.

I am so sad for her and for my little girl. On top of it, my husband said that he can't bring herself to kill his daughter's favorite chick, so it will be my job.
sad.png

J.

Photos I took this morning after I watered and fed the flock:
IMG_2404.jpg

She spends most of her time, still and sunning herself.
IMG_2424.jpg

She is most often found at the entrance of the hen house. She seems to be bothered by sitting in the grass.
IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

This little chick is my daughter's most loved. I am sure because we have been caring for her so closely. Pip-Squeak is most content when being held or spending time with the rest of the flock.
IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

I just wonder if having her on the shavings is making it worse. However, when I brought her in on towels for a while, she would always step in her droppings and squeal in pain, even though I was cleaning it often. She was also stressed to be separated. So not sure which is the lesser evil.

J.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom