Reminder for Myself and Others - Winter is Coming for Many of Us - Fire Safety

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
12 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
Another post just reminded me that those of us who have electricity in our duck shelters need to do what we can to prevent fires. Any specific ideas might be good to share here. Are there any products you have found to help?

I keep flammables as far away as I can from outlets, and have a fire extinguisher by the door. I have been getting better at removing cobwebs that catch loads of dust anywhere near an outlet.

Are there any extension cord plug covers to reduce risk of sparks hitting bedding?

We have GFCI (did I get those letters in the right order?) outlets, also.

Another post just reminded me that those of us who have electricity in our duck shelters need to do what we can to prevent fires. Any specific ideas might be good to share here. Are there any products you have found to help?

I keep flammables as far away as I can from outlets, and have a fire extinguisher by the door. I have been getting better at removing cobwebs that catch loads of dust anywhere near an outlet.

Are there any extension cord plug covers to reduce risk of sparks hitting bedding?

We have GFCI (did I get those letters in the right order?) outlets, also.
I'm in total agreement Amiga, since Anoxa lost all her animals in a fire this past winter I have been obsessed with making sure all is safe. I even went and bought 12 gauge outside extension cords for my heated buckets and feeders. and I cover my floor outlet with a plastic grocery bag while I am cleaning to keep out the dust from the bedding. yep I am obsessed. I even wipe off lights and use those plastic plug things inside the plugs I'm not using to help keep dust out. Never ever want to have to live through what she had to see.

I picked up some plastic plugs, too. Found 'em in the kiddie aisle in some big box store - they are shaped like animals. So, hey, cute is good.

I remember seeing some clip-on covers for extension cords used in greenhouses a while back. I wonder if such a thing would be helpful to prevent dust or bedding from getting into a plug?

My heart still hurts for Aoxa on that one. Mercy.
sad.png

Last edited:
I picked up some plastic plugs, too. Found 'em in the kiddie aisle in some big box store - they are shaped like animals. So, hey, cute is good.

I remember seeing some clip-on covers for extension cords used in greenhouses a while back. I wonder if such a thing would be helpful to prevent dust or bedding from getting into a plug?

My heart still hurts for Aoxa on that one. Mercy.
sad.png

Clip on covers I may have to look for some. I bought my 12 gauge extension cords off ebay so much cheaper than Lowes. last year I used that gorilla taped to cover the ends of my cords where they plugged into each other. I could not get that tape off at end of season to put away cords I had to get dh to cut it off that is some strong tape. LOL Have you been to her profile page? she has some great tips on fire prevention too. I bet those plastic plugs are cute.
smile.png

Don't overload, i don't use much hydro here, i only heat a single bucket in the main part of the barn, that said it's a heavy duty extension cord and it's plugged into an outlet with GFI. I don't use heat lamps and i don't bother getting water overnight to everyone, the chickens coops are all separate so entirely different hydro source.

Watching plugs for dust is good, also don't keep flammable products in there, ie; petrol or explosive chemicals. Keeping an eye on your electrical is important too, if things aren't working as they should fuses blowing, sparking etc. discontinue use and find out where the issue is.

Back
Top Bottom