remove rotten or infertile eggs from duck nest

into_my_web

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Newfoundland
Hello

I have a broody duck that has be sitting for a week, i have been candling the eggs start on the 6th day and have found rotten or infertile eggs. I was wonder if i should take rotten or infertile eggs from my duck's nest or leave them?

Thank you for any info you may have.

I would just leave them there, you have nothing to loose, if she is sitting on them and has been for a week maybe its just an odd egg, you have nothing to loose, either they hatch or don't there is no way to prove otherwise unless you try
smile.png
Good luck (Y)

Aaron

in all actuality, you have the whole clutch to loose!
If they are rotten, get them out of there, yes the hen will usually flick them out, but if they are candled and infertile, just get them yourself no need to let her sit on bad eggs. She wont get them til they are near bursting and smelling(that's how she knows, they stink, lol) . By leaving them in you are inviting bacteria to contamiate the others and kill them, especially if one pops in the nest, 9 times out of 10, that will kill all embryos with contamiation. Alos, by removing the bad ones, she can more properly care for the remainling good ones.

Good rule of thumb, in hens or incubators, if it's bad, toss it!

Last edited:
I agree, toss it if its bad. Dont want harm to come to the other babies and its wasting space and warmth. If your unsure, just leave it a little while longer before candling again
smile.png

That's why I weed out bad eggs weekly. When in doubt give it a week, but no more then that. You can mark your eggs with a pencil so you know what is going on. You don't want an egg to explode. Just search this forum for exploded eggs and it will turn your mind and stomach in no time. It is as bad as skunk juice when it comes trying to get rid off.

Definitely get rid of the bad ones. We've had ducks that will get rid of eggs that are bad, but others that will keep sitting on them and we had 1 explode on the nest. Definitely get rid of the bad ones.

I wait longer than a week to throw out eggs. Reason being, is because the ones laid more recently will be slightly less developed. I usually wait at least 2 weeks to figure out fertile/non fertile. Visibly rotten ones can be tossed, though - though it is odd they would rot so fast. Usually it takes weeks to rot, and if she's only been setting a week then they are likely less than 2.5 weeks old.

My hazel which is a duck and is laying eggs for the first time...yesterday was rough for her I thought she was dien...but can I move her from my old house to the new host...but they are not feritile..she's inside baby girl...any suggestions of moving her and about removing the eggs as they are hatched or do i leave them with her anything would anyone could tell me would really help....

My hazel which is a duck and is laying eggs for the first time...yesterday was rough for her I thought she was dien...but can I move her from my old house to the new host...but they are not feritile..she's inside baby girl...any suggestions of moving her and about removing the eggs as they are hatched or do i leave them with her anything would anyone could tell me would really help....
If the eggs are no good, destroy the nest and block her from it..Get her out and about, cool swims will cool her belly from being Broody.

Back
Top Bottom