Remove Your Clutter Thread

Quote:
We find if you put things out you want to give away a for sale sign taped on it with a old chain draped on it helps it leave faster.

As much as I miss my departed husband, I have to admit I can now make the house look like I want it. The house was basically a shrine to his dead parents, and I've shipped a lot of their stuff down to his sister and many of his things I've thrown out, given away or donated.

He still has several THOUSAND dollars worth of RC model aircraft and if anyone is interested, please PM me for details.

But, yes, looking forward to getting rid of clutter!

GULP. I'm getting rid of old magazines (Kooshie, you SUUUUUURE you don't want any Muses?) and that prom dress I got that I've worn once and couldn't breathe in. Back to the Goodwill from whence ye came!!

I moved about 4 years ago from a home I'd lived in for MANY years. Probably half the stuff there did not come with me, it got tossed or given away. Fortunately, it was a great place to put things out by the garbage can and they would disappear, often in a day or two. Aahhh, feels so much better.

I'm being forced from my childhood home because of this stinkin divorce....my parents accumulated and so did we.

I've started to pack and thus far have a pile to give away....tons of clothes--baby on up to mama, toys, books, furniture, dishes I don't like--pretty blue but heavy and not as flat as I want my plate to be, everything rolls in the middle.

I've tossed a ton of crap.... old icky pillows, a stinky rug, an old air conditioner that only makes ice and not cold air, a yucky loveseat and recliner, and oodles of papers, and basically a lot of run of the mill garbage.

There's still lots left to sort and I've got little time to do it. I'm overwhelmed...my kids are sick, my oldest has a fever of 104*, my youngest went to the dr. a couple of days ago and he said it wasn't strep...virus....I'm run down...my x is coming in to town to have my girls for spring break next week and to get his things he left here 4 years ago when he abandoned us...but no bother, he wasn't good to us any how....and I'm tryin to get into another home but not sure how things are gonna turn out....

so......there it is....time to purge. It's hard though...being that it's my childhood home an all but I can't buy out x's half of the "marital property." God give me strength.

I know things have got to get better...right? I mean, all of this...well, it's not any fun.

Some times though, I think purging will do me good.

Good luck on all of your decluttering my crazy chicken folk. Turns out that a rusty muffin pan ain't worth holdin on to.
tongue.png

In the summer I filled and emptied a room 2 times.A lot of the stuff was new things for kids that I never used/sold. I donated most to a local cat shelter that was having a garage sale.The rest I donated to a thrift store I shop at. I used to donate at goodwill/salvation army,but either the things I gave never showed on the floor or the prices were soooo high. Sadly very few people shop at those stores anymore,and it is a shame because they have helpful programs.

I am going to start cleaning again this spring. I have a hallway linen closet that is full of everything BUT linen!

Dh says if we move again we are leaving most of our stuff.

Quote:
I was watching a CSI the other night and they found a body (turned out to be more than one, but that is a whole nother' story) in a house that the mother was a hoarder . . .Lawrence Fishburne (I think he was the one) that said there are so many million storage units in the US, and another how many millions tons of storage items that we Americans store . . .that essentially we have become a hoarding nation . . .wonder why? So I guess what he was saying was some of us are hoarders that are just neater about it. (by the way, DON'T go in my attic!!!!!
th.gif
hide.gif

I have TWO attics in this house! But the openings to them are about 18" x 18", that sure keeps me from putting much up there.

I moved to SC and got married. My poor DH- if you could have seen his face when I pulled in with a huge moving truck filled to the brim, my car on a trailer behind it and 2 cats on the dashboard! I had a full household on wheels. I had inherited a ton of stuff from various relatives and have been sorting through it over the years.

That funny looking little cream pitcher from my grandmother's stuff? Uhm, Rare English Majolica, sold it on ebay for $255.00. Dad's old radio? $125.00 on ebay. The old black and white camera? $85.00 on etsy.com.

My point is, think about what you have, briefly. If it's over 20 years old it can be sold as vintage on www.etsy.com . Don't let it make you crazy though, and don't spend hours finding out that item is worth $10. You'll have to keep your time in mind to make it work. I have a spare room dedicated to that stuff, and I really need to get busy selling again! Anybody want to buy a couple boxes of older cookbooks?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom