Removing a mean rooster and replacing him.

tmatt1

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 6, 2013
I removed my rooster from the flock and replaced him with a new rooster and 5 of the new roosters hens.
How will this affect my flock will they stop laying eggs till they all settle in ?

welcome-byc.gif

Things like adding to and removing chickens from the flock will be stressful for the hens and they will very likely stop laying or lay less than usual until they have sorted themselves and their pecking order out. It may take a few weeks for them to settle down and resume laying.

The pecking order is taking place all of theses hens are sisters but have not seen one another in 6 months so I guess its like new chickens all together.
The new rooster is accepting the change well. The hens seem un sure of their new place. How many nesting boxes will support 14 hens ?

Put in at least 4 boxes for them. 5 If you can. And I'm sure the new rooster is settling in happily
wink.png

The reply from Sumi saying to put 4 or 5 nesting boxes for 14 hens seems to make sense and explains why I have 32 boxes for about 40 hens and they all like to lay their eggs in about 4 of them.

Back
Top Bottom