Removing babies from mama?

Jan 12, 2021
My broody hen is hatching some eggs and although today she somehow smashed one earlier this evening (it was heartbreaking and I'm still not sure how that happened) it seems to be going pretty good. I just have a new concern because our coop is off of the ground with a slightly small ramp to the outside run. I hadn't thought of the possibility of the chicks trying to go outside/ one of the other hens managing to push them outside... I'm not sure how hardy chicks are but if I had to guess... They wouldn't do too well with a fall from that height (probably just below knee height).

I do still have all the materials from when I first got my chickens so it wouldn't be a big deal to set up the chick habitat again... My question is, is that going to cause problems with the mother hen/ the babies? Do I have to wait to move the chicks for a few days (Im worried about them falling to their deaths, seems like an awful way to go) or is it ok to just take them as soon as they've hatched?

[pictures of coop as to see my concern]

Attachments

• IMG_20220617_101233496.jpg
    IMG_20220617_101233496.jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220617_101248762.jpg
    IMG_20220617_101248762.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220617_101309144.jpg
    IMG_20220617_101309144.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 2
My broody hen is hatching some eggs and although today she somehow smashed one earlier this evening (it was heartbreaking and I'm still not sure how that happened) it seems to be going pretty good. I just have a new concern because our coop is off of the ground with a slightly small ramp to the outside run. I hadn't thought of the possibility of the chicks trying to go outside/ one of the other hens managing to push them outside... I'm not sure how hardy chicks are but if I had to guess... They wouldn't do too well with a fall from that height (probably just below knee height).

I do still have all the materials from when I first got my chickens so it wouldn't be a big deal to set up the chick habitat again... My question is, is that going to cause problems with the mother hen/ the babies? Do I have to wait to move the chicks for a few days (Im worried about them falling to their deaths, seems like an awful way to go) or is it ok to just take them as soon as they've hatched?

[pictures of coop as to see my concern]
Is there any way you can move mother and babies to a different spot, maybe in a dog kennel or something similar?

Is there any way you can move mother and babies to a different spot, maybe in a dog kennel or something similar?
This particular hen doesn't do well with cages and ended up breaking her toenail/claw last time she was in one. I'm trying to avoid that... But my thought was that since we're not going to be reintroducing the chicks to the flock (we're going to sell them) it will be ok. I'm, just not sure if this will create some form of heartbreak amongst the chicks and the hen.

This particular hen doesn't do well with cages and ended up breaking her toenail/claw last time she was in one. I'm trying to avoid that... But my thought was that since we're not going to be reintroducing the chicks to the flock (we're going to sell them) it will be ok. I'm, just not sure if this will create some form of heartbreak amongst the chicks and the hen.
It will cause her to be a little upset for a little while but if you remove the chicks after they have hatched and put in brooder where she can’t see or hear them she should get over it in a day or so. Of course she could go broody again.

Back
Top Bottom