Removing buried chickenwire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jabowery, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jabowery

jabowery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    My Coop
    My garden is done for the year and I'll be expanding next year so I need to move the chickenwire fence (I free range my chickens).

Of course, a lot of the chickenwire is buried. Is there any easy way to get the chickenwire out of the ground or am I going to have a great opportunity for a lot of paleo-exercise with my shovel?

I have taken up the T-posts and have an electric winch if that is useful but I suspect no matter how I hook up the winch it will just rip the chickenwire (even though it has tension lines running along it), instead of ripping it out of the ground -- and I definitely don't want to leave any wire straggling in the dirt that will mess up the tiller.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well I just removed awhile ago some chicken wire that had been strung up for 6 years, partly buried.

To my surprise when I dug into the ground to remove it, it had rusted out and was completely GONE beneath the soil surface. All that was left was a jagged edge of fencing along the bottom and of course what was above ground.

3. jabowery

jabowery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    My Coop
    My chickenwire has been buried only part of the year.

I just went out and dug it up. Good exercise.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Good for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by