removing eggs from incubator to candle

nannychickie

Hatching
Aug 21, 2021
I'm new to all this so please be kind. During the candling day on day 10, the area where my incubator is was not dark enough to candle so I had to unplug the machine to find a dark room. I then proceeded to candle my six eggs with the machine unplugged and not replacing the hood. This took about 20 minutes ugh. I found out after that I am not supposed to unplug ever and put the lid back on the eggs during each candle. Im so upset. Have I harmed my chickens?

I'm new to all this so please be kind. During the candling day on day 10, the area where my incubator is was not dark enough to candle so I had to unplug the machine to find a dark room. I then proceeded to candle my six eggs with the machine unplugged and not replacing the hood. This took about 20 minutes ugh. I found out after that I am not supposed to unplug ever and put the lid back on the eggs during each candle. Im so upset. Have I harmed my chickens?
How did you find out that you are not supposed to unplug it ever? Did they say why? The only thing that makes any sense to me is if you have one that is counting the days for you and increases humidity for lockdown on its own. And you can't control humidity on your own. Sorry, but that just sounds weird but you never know what they are doing with incubators these days.

I've seen broody hens off their nest for over an hour each time twice a day. That was in fairly warm weather but not that hot. She had a great hatch. Brinsea markets an incubator that you can schedule a cooling off period if you want. They say it can help incubation but the studies they linked was more about goose eggs than chicken eggs. I'm not convinced that helps at all. But I am sure it doesn't hurt.

When I candle I open the incubator and check all 28 eggs before I close it back up. I typically set 28 eggs at a time. I don't take breaks but get on with it, but I don't get so fast I'm in danger of dropping eggs. With about 20 minutes you did not come close to harming your eggs when you candled because of that time.

Back
Top Bottom