Removing Heat

Cluckin Warner

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
Hi there,

I have a mixed bunch of Pekin, polish & silkie chicks between 4 & 5 weeks old. They are currently in home.

When is a good time to turn off their lamp our house averages 20 degrees Celsius most of the day.

Just ordered their coop and didn’t want to shock them by putting them outside straight from heat.

Thanks in advance xx

how are they acting? away from the heat? they should be mostly feathered in.
The two pekins 4 weeks old and one silkie 5 weeks are roosting away from the heat, but still go back to it. The polish 5 weeks old and silkies 4 weeks still tend to sit under it snuggled together. That’s why I’m so confused 😬 such a mixed bag

The two pekins 4 weeks old and one silkie 5 weeks are roosting away from the heat, but still go back to it. The polish 5 weeks old and silkies 4 weeks still tend to sit under it snuggled together. That’s why I’m so confused 😬 such a mixed bag
Have you started taking them outside for daytime trips?

Or brought in a clump of dirt with grass attached to give them a little exposure to what's out there so they can build some immuntiy/resistance before going out for full time exposure?

What are you outdoor highs and lows that they will be heading into?

Have you started taking them outside for daytime trips?

Or brought in a clump of dirt with grass attached to give them a little exposure to what's out there so they can build some immuntiy/resistance before going out for full time exposure?

What are you outdoor highs and lows that they will be heading into?
They went outside on Monday whilst I cleaned them out, them stood shouting at me and one of the little silkies stood shivering 😬😂

It’s probably more me than them! It is Celsius but going to be dropping to minus again next week

Attachments

• 41AE85DA-7B01-420E-B402-EFC724675A8A.jpeg
    41AE85DA-7B01-420E-B402-EFC724675A8A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
20 C = 68 F

I'd turn it off now. Watch them and see what they do but I can't imaging them needing extra heat at those temperatures and at that age. Watching them is mainly to get your confidence up.
Thank you, I have braved it and turned it off, it is probably more me worrying. They might just use the heat as a comforter. I’ll watch the temperature tonight if it drops I will pop it back on. Night on day off for a couple of days?

I don't know how steady the temperature is in your house or how low it actually gets. There is nothing wrong with alternating on and off, especially if your temperatures fluctuate.

I've had chicks about 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights a little below freezing. They were in a coop that had good ventilation up high and great breeze protection down low where they were. They did not like it much but they survived.

I don't know how steady the temperature is in your house or how low it actually gets. There is nothing wrong with alternating on and off, especially if your temperatures fluctuate.

I've had chicks about 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights a little below freezing. They were in a coop that had good ventilation up high and great breeze protection down low where they were. They did not like it much but they survived.
Thank you so much 😀 I think it’s more me fretting for the little ones 🥰

Back
Top Bottom