Removing old leg bands

I used a small side cutters to remove bands like this and it worked very well and it’s easy to see to keep the birds leg safe. Have someone hold her still and/ or work at night. If she is a 4H bird and tame, any time should be okay. Good luck. Btw, love the name. That is my only child’s name. And she’s going on 23. So I loved the name Sophia before it came back around in popularity!

Hello friends...
While out chatting with the girls over the weekend I noticed Sophia has developed a callous on top of her foot from the 4H ID band rubbing it. (In our state for kids to exhibit chickens and other livestock it has to be tagged and since i rescued her she still has it.) It doesn't look like it's bleeding but it is rather big and the band is settling into it. I would like to remove it after molt to provide some relief ( the other Barred Rock Lucy, likes to peck at it when Sophia gets to close. Lucy can be a stinker sometimes.)
What is the best way to do this? Have a VCA look at it or try myself?
When ot stops storming I will get a picture of her foot.
Lucy has one too since she was also a 4H girl, no callus though.
UPDATE: We got the bands off and I was able to love over their legs. After researching scaly leg mites I have ruled that out. Their "skin" i call it is a little from our crazy weather this past summer so when we rebuild this weekend a cleaning will take place both inside and out. Hopefully their skin can get back to normal. It's only 2 of 3, the older ones. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

UPDATE: We got the bands off and I was able to love over their legs.
Excellent!

After researching scaly leg mites I have ruled that out. Their "skin" i call it is a little from our crazy weather this past summer
Hmmm the raised scales I see is almost definitely leg mites, not the weather.
If scales are missing and you only see skin then it could be the mites have been there long enough to destroy the scale beds.

Excellent!

Hmmm the raised scales I see is almost definitely leg mites, not the weather.
If scales are missing and you only see skin then it could be the mites have been there long enough to destroy the scale beds.
No scales are missing. As a matter of fact the leg feels soft but the foot area was a bit damp and cool from the all of the rain. I will be watching over the next few days to make sure though. And get some help looking at her today.

Back
Top Bottom