Removing/trimming rooster spurs

Ridgerunner, I'm not sure if I have the metal cutting wheel, but I'm trying to steel myself up for the task. I gotta try the towel wrap. I actually heard of that many times before and it just didn't cross my mind at the time. As far as bleeding, he bled a LOT. It wasn't pouring out but constantly dripping - I'd say a drop about every 15 secs or so. It wasn't slowing, so we wrapped it and they when we noticed the other spur was hitting the fresh one. Thanks for sharing the info!

I like the grinder attachment myself. You must have one of those for your Dremmel. It takes a bit longer, like maybe one minute of careful grinding, to get the spur sheath ground down to where you want it to be. The advantage of a grinder attachment to the cutting wheel is that it allows you to see when you're approach the quick, therefore avoiding the very problem you had with the other spur. If you do happen to grind a bit too far, the resulting tiny bit of bleeding should cauterize itself from the heat of the grinding.

If you do this at night, taking the roo off the roost, wrapping him in a towel, he should be very relaxed and not put up any resistance.

I hatched 2 andalusian pullets last easter and both have spurs, will they ever need to have those removed or will they just stay small? I've never had hens with spurs before, lol.

People can have all kinds of different reasons for what they do whether you or I think them valid reasons or not.

The one I think we can all agree on is when spurs are curving around and growing into the leg. There is actually another active thread today with photos showing a hen’s spurs doing that. That’s a danger to the chicken.

Some people have human aggressive roosters or have both kids and roosters and are afraid the kid or someone else will be injured. So trim to minimize the danger. That’s one I don’t agree with, the beak and claws are just as dangerous as spurs, especially to kids. Human aggressive roosters don’t live long around here.

A pretty common one is when the pullets or hens have bare backs. Often the stories I see on here are about pullets and cockerels, not hen and roosters, and the cockerel’s spurs aren’t long enough to do any damage. It’s normally the claws doing the damage, usually because the cockerel’s technique is so inexperienced. But removing the spurs even under those circumstances is a usual recommendation on here. If the hen does have a bare back and the spurs are long enough, they are sharp enough to cut the skin.

Some people read posts on here and get scared about possibilities. To them it is a precaution to protect them or their pullets or hens.

I’m sure I’m missing some reasons. The point is whether or not I agree, people have different reason for doing what they do.

Edited to add the link to the photos of the hen having a spur issue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1146469/spur-issue-on-a-hen

Last edited:
People can have all kinds of different reasons for what they do whether you or I think them valid reasons or not.

The one I think we can all agree on is when spurs are curving around and growing into the leg. There is actually another active thread today with photos showing a hen’s spurs doing that. That’s a danger to the chicken.

Some people have human aggressive roosters or have both kids and roosters and are afraid the kid or someone else will be injured. So trim to minimize the danger. That’s one I don’t agree with, the beak and claws are just as dangerous as spurs, especially to kids. Human aggressive roosters don’t live long around here.

A pretty common one is when the pullets or hens have bare backs. Often the stories I see on here are about pullets and cockerels, not hen and roosters, and the cockerel’s spurs aren’t long enough to do any damage. It’s normally the claws doing the damage, usually because the cockerel’s technique is so inexperienced. But removing the spurs even under those circumstances is a usual recommendation on here. If the hen does have a bare back and the spurs are long enough, they are sharp enough to cut the skin.

Some people read posts on here and get scared about possibilities. To them it is a precaution to protect them or their pullets or hens.

I’m sure I’m missing some reasons. The point is whether or not I agree, people have different reason for doing what they do.

Edited to add the link to the photos of the hen having a spur issue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1146469/spur-issue-on-a-hen

Thank you.
If someone does get rid of a rooster Spurs,
Does that mean they can't be shown?
Fionn.

Ok,
I am guessing it might be?
I looked in the British poultry standard book (Ireland and England use same standards)
And it says any faking could be a disqualification,
Maybe that would be covered by it?
Fionn.

I have no idea Fionn. Someone who shows, or even better judges, under those standards would have to answer. It might be worth a new thread under breeds and showing with spurs, disqualification, and British Standards in the title. That might get the attention of someone who knows.

I trimmed the spurs and toenails for the first time this yr on my Giant rooster, had some bare backed girls and heard it would help. He has plenty of hens many of them other much smaller breeds it was just the Giant hens bare, figured the others were evading him better. Just used dog nail clippers and took just the tips off the spurs, and a couple toenails that were sharp. He's completely non-aggressive so wasn't for 'safety' reasons.
The girls grew their feathers back but I can't say if it helped, pretty sure it turned out they just were going through a hard molt cause the rooster same age lost all his tail feathers and his neck was a little ragged shortly after, he didn't molt as bad as the hens though.

Back
Top Bottom