Removing Week Old Chicks from Mama.. Questions

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
For those of you who remove chicks just after hatch or a short time later from their mama to sell or brood them yourself, how does she act when you do that? How long is she frantic over them missing? I have to sell the chicks Glenda hatched and they are a week old. It bothers me because I've never taken chicks from their mom, but thought I'd ask you fine people how she does.

Quote:
Thank yu for posting this topic here,I can't give you an answer, but I am glad that you mentioned this because I am cerious about this subject, and I will b waiting with you for some answers.
Omran

I had to remove some chick's from a coop earlier this summer. They were just a few day's old. The mama tried to protect them while I was collecting them and she fussed for a little while, but a couple of hour's later she acted like it never happened. She still love's and trust me now. It will be O K. PEACE

Like chilling in muscadine said. The hen will usually fuss for awhile but after a couple of hours you would never know she just lost her brood.

I didn't want to take my girl's babies either but something inside the coop had killed 2 biddies so I was trying to save there life and figure out what was happeneing at the same time. Now the biddies I rescued are the most spoiled chick's I have ever seen. Uh uh,,,, well all my biddies are spoiled. Don't ya just love it!!
big_smile.png
PEACE

Back
Top Bottom