Removing Week Old Chicks from Mama.. Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Oct 5, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

For those of you who remove chicks just after hatch or a short time later from their mama to sell or brood them yourself, how does she act when you do that? How long is she frantic over them missing? I have to sell the chicks Glenda hatched and they are a week old. It bothers me because I've never taken chicks from their mom, but thought I'd ask you fine people how she does.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Thank yu for posting this topic here,I can't give you an answer, but I am glad that you mentioned this because I am cerious about this subject, and I will b waiting with you for some answers.
    Omran

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I had to remove some chick's from a coop earlier this summer. They were just a few day's old. The mama tried to protect them while I was collecting them and she fussed for a little while, but a couple of hour's later she acted like it never happened. She still love's and trust me now. It will be O K. PEACE

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    mine have been fine too, they go back to being a single hen..lol dont seem to mind after a bit.

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Like chilling in muscadine said. The hen will usually fuss for awhile but after a couple of hours you would never know she just lost her brood.

6. speckledhen

Thank you all for your answers! That makes me feel much better. I guess I empathize with my girls so much, it was really worrying me, even though I know it's done all the time.

7. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I didn't want to take my girl's babies either but something inside the coop had killed 2 biddies so I was trying to save there life and figure out what was happeneing at the same time. Now the biddies I rescued are the most spoiled chick's I have ever seen. Uh uh,,,, well all my biddies are spoiled. Don't ya just love it!! [​IMG] PEACE

8. speckledhen

Well, if you visited, that's all you'd see here-spoiled chickens! [​IMG] Appreciate the reassurances!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by