Rent-A-Rooster??

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
So this is...gonna sound absolutely ridiculous. But I just had this thought earlier and I've gotta ask. Is there a way to breed a hen/hens by borrowing a rooster for a day? Or like...a service that does that? šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚. I've got Serama hens I'd love to breed, but I can't have a rooster in my area. I'm trying to figure out a sneaky way to do it...but so far no dice. Or maybe I could /bring/ my girls somewhere šŸ¤”. Any ideas guys? I guess I could always just get Serama hatching eggs, but it isn't the same šŸ„ŗ.

As long as you're sure of the health of the sure, I don't see why not. Though it may take about a week or two for them to be comfortable with him.
Agreed. Hens have the ability to "spit out" rooster sperm if they don't like the rooster. It could take a while for the hens to respect the rooster enough to keep the sperm in them.

Agreed. Hens have the ability to "spit out" rooster sperm if they don't like the rooster. It could take a while for the hens to respect the rooster enough to keep the sperm in them.
Oof, really? That sucks. It's ashame they don't make a rooster that doesn't crow šŸ˜…. (Not really though, I love roosters. I miss being able to have them!)

What I do is I keep my cockerel in a small cat crate and put him in my bathroom (some people use the garage) and cover him with a towel to block out light, and do it over night. They will still crow during the day, but if you neighbors are nice they may not mind that as long as you are keeping him from crowing throughout the night and early morning. I usually lock my cockerel up at midnight and let him out again at 10 in the morning just to make sure its well after the time people get up. I also make sure to give him a little treat in the kennel so that he learns to like being in there.

Unfortunately I don't think it would work unless your girls loved the rooster at first sight :confused: Although if you had a whole day with them together maybe it could work..Give treats to rooster (so treats aren't coming from you) so he can entice the ladies ;)
I tried putting my pullets in my other coop/run with my cockerel for a few minutes, yes he mated them but no fertile eggs so they must have spat out the sperm.
If there's no health issues to pass along from rooster to your hens then you could give it a go anyway..or buy fertile eggs :)

Back
Top Bottom