Reoccurring "fart" eggs?

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
One of my girls (a 7 month old black Australorp) has been laying fart/fairy eggs for the past 1-2 months. She's been laying for about 3-4 months though. I'll get 2 normal eggs, and then 3 fart eggs! They're the size of a quarter, shelled, have membrane, no yolk. My flock of 4 eat the same things: layer pellets, eggs as treats, scratch grains (enough for a couple beak fulls each a day), and occasionally scraps from fruit or veggies. They also free range our 3.5 acres during the day.

When this started she went a week with no eggs and then laid 2 small eggs, took a couple days off, then two regular eggs. Rinse and repeat. I got another small one today. Here is a picture for comparison of her other normal sized egg.
20181010_102121.jpg

She seems otherwise healthy. She's out and about all day with everyone grazing, drinking plenty of water and eating the pellets. I'm begining to wonder if she has something up with her egg-making equipment?

I LOVE fart eggs!! Maybe she just still needs time to establish a normal cycle. Fart eggs aren’t a bad thing, so just give her more time.
I think they're very cute and I can't complain about not having to separate out egg yolks on occasion, but I'm just concerned about her is all. I'll definitely give her more time.

It's just weird because she was like clockwork since her first egg. 5-6 eggs a week, same time everyday, and this beautiful pinkish light tan color.

I had a Pullet like that and she then only laid fart eggs so went to a pet home.
Was she otherwise healthy?

I'll probably keep her and just feed those eggs back to them. She's the head girl in charge and I don't know if I want to disrupt the harmony. She does a good job of keeping everyone in check.

I'm begining to wonder if she has something up with her egg-making equipment?
Without a doubt.
Have you looked closely to see if there's anything other than albumen in the yolkless eggs?
Tiny piece of tissue....or a translucent tiny yolk(immature ova)?
Whether or not she has issues down the line remains to be seen.:fl

Aside: When I bake bread and want egg white to coat top of loaves to stick seeds,
I always wish I had a fairy fart egg use.

Without a doubt.
Have you looked closely to see if there's anything other than albumen in the yolkless eggs?
Tiny piece of tissue....or a translucent tiny yolk(immature ova)?
Whether or not she has issues down the line remains to be seen.:fl

Aside: When I bake bread and want egg white to coat top of loaves to stick seeds,
I always wish I had a fairy fart egg use.
I don't think so, but I'll post a picture next time I get one of it cracked open. Still in my first year of chicken keeping so a more experienced chicken keeper would probably have a better eye for that than me.

I don't think so, but I'll post a picture next time I get one of it cracked open. Still in my first year of chicken keeping so a more experienced chicken keeper would probably have a better eye for that than me.
Might be really hard to photograph.
Not sure if a clear dish or a white dish would be better for you to view it in.
A strong light is a must.

Back
Top Bottom