Replacement Pullets, curious on your methods/routine.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Going Quackers, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Do you do it yearly? give it a year or two... etc.

I did get replacements last year for my 3yos.. the 3yo are still laying but i anticipate slow down, so the new girls(one who is laying already) will step up...

I also started a whole new flock of different breeds, so have those too. I am not an egg laying business lol but like to have enough for myself and often give some to friends, family etc.

I feel like i want to skip babies this year, so wanting to know how often people do the pullet additions to their laying flocks to keep a nice flow of eggs coming.

I am also capable of adding to both flocks using roosters that i own ... so don't necessarily need to purchase anymore but would again like to take this year off of babies(and no i have not told the super broody bantam breeds any of that lol) .

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Well I tend to have my birds un a "Grow out " pen.While the adults free range they can still see the.pullets.Give it a week.Aftet a week passes by,let the pullets fred range with the adults.Be sure your giving them treats,really distracts them from fighting while together.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I hatch out a group of pullets every year, usually 25 some and than I cull any problem hens, (lack of thriftiness, egg eating, not laying, etc). Most people cull there birds at 2 years, but I prefer not to, since I have some hens that are still laying strong (almost an egg a day) at 3-5 years of age. A few birds I have to cull at 1.5 years, while others I don't cull until 5 or 6 years (with a few exceptions of course). I hatch chicks from march through July so the the pullets will start laying august-december so I'm getting plenty of eggs while the other girls are molting or not laying do to decreased day light, etc. Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Quote: You can do that? wow! It is wanting to have the babies that gets most people in trouble.[​IMG]

You can certainly take a year off. Personally, I like a multigenerational flock. I try and keep it as young as possible. Predators can ruin the best of plans.

so, it is perfectly fine to take a year off, but I would not take two.... but that is me. Some people only get chicks every 3-4 years.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by