Replacing a roo chick - possible options?

16 chickens in 64 square feet? Thats tight.

Gary

That would be the theoretical max at 4 sq. ft. min per bird. I can't really see going up that high. The most I would go comfortably would be 12. That gives some extra room in the coop and run. I was just using that number as the max based on the accepted values that people commonly use here for sizing. I'd rather have fewer, but happier birds, even if the space allowed for more.

You obviously seem like you don't want a rooster—what I'm thinking is, would it be that bad? He could protect your flock, and you'd still get eggs daily. Plus, if you want to add to your flock later on, you would get some fertilized eggs to hatch, and the hens would do all the integrating of the new chicks for you!

Just a thought. :) I'd understand if you live in an area where they don't want/allow roos, but they are a bit hard to re-home. I've had great experiences with my two roos (thus, I'm a bit bias, hehe), but everybody's different!

Hope this helps!
--- CiscoChickens

You obviously seem like you don't want a rooster—what I'm thinking is, would it be that bad? He could protect your flock, and you'd still get eggs daily. Plus, if you want to add to your flock later on, you would get some fertilized eggs to hatch, and the hens would do all the integrating of the new chicks for you!

Just a thought. :) I'd understand if you live in an area where they don't want/allow roos, but they are a bit hard to re-home. I've had great experiences with my two roos (thus, I'm a bit bias, hehe), but everybody's different!

Hope this helps!
--- CiscoChickens

It's a fair question. I am technically in an unincorporated area that would allow me to have a rooster, but our property is just shy of an acre, and though we have some nice space, we're still residential with other houses around. I won't rule it out some day, but I think I'd like to start this first adventure sans rooster.

Back
Top Bottom